Students follow the academic ‘Road to Excellence’

Hibiscus flowers adorned tables and walls while guitar music played softly in the background at the Scholarship Awards Reception last Friday, entitled “The Road to Excellence.”

It took place in the cafeteria, where 126 scholarship recipients were recognized at the Hawaiian-themed reception in front of a crowd of donors, faculty, students and guests.

Cliff Meidl, an EC alumnus and 1995 Olympic Gold Medalist, was the featured speaker of the event.

He said he was proud of the students for their endeavors.

“I think it’s an incredible accomplishment, first of all, to be at the top of the echelon of their class,” Meidl said.

“And being able to receive these scholarships, I think it’s great because it kind of leads and opens up doors to things they can achieve later on in life,” he said.

College president Dr. Thomas Fallo was also present to congratulate the recipients as well as to thank the donors for their contributions.

“I’m very proud to see the scholarship recipients and donors coming together for the betterment of students and learning here at El Camino College,” Fallo said.

“Not only the students, but the donors bring the community together,” he said.

“It’s not just academic excellence,” Fallo said. “It’s people coming out of the community who recognize that we’re proud of all of you; you bring together students and success.”

In order to apply for scholarships, students had to meet minimum eligibility requirements. These requirements ranged from writing an essay to being a U.S. citizen.

Winners were notified by receiving an invitation through mail that invited them to the luncheon.

For many, winning a scholarship came unexpectedly.

“I wasn’t expecting to win anything at all; it was somewhat of a surprise,” Kenneth Silverman,19, political science major who won the EC Federation Scholarship, said.

Edwin Luna, 22, dentistry and counseling major, one of eight winners of the Puente scholarship, said he was shocked but pleased when he learned that he had won.

“I was like, ‘Wow.’ It was a great feeling; it felt good,” Luna said.

America Almazan, 21, Spanish major, another Puente scholarship winner, was not even aware that she had won when she first received her invitation.

“I didn’t know what it meant, so I reacted late,” the 21-year-old said.

After each scholarship winner was recognized, he or she received a certificate and then proceeded to take pictures with Fallo.

After the ceremony, scholarship winners, donors and guests were invited to have refreshments supplied by the cafeteria.

The recipients will be able to pick up their awards at the Cashier’s Office.

Other highlights included a Hawaiian chant by Randy Chang, who said it was a “blessing” for both donors and recipients to be able to come together to celebrate success.

Meidl, a champion kayaker despite being severely injured in a construction accident in 1986, encouraged the students to be proud of their accomplishments.

He also encouraged the scholarship recipients to be proud to be a part of the college.

“El Camino is one of the top community colleges in our nation,” he said to the students.

“You provide a lot and resemble a lot for us in our community. When you receive your award today, be proud.”