EOPS hosts 2nd annual concert

With the end of the semester fast approaching, EC’s Extended Opportunity Program Services (EOPS) office will be providing some relief from finals with a spring benefit concert to help raise funds for underfunded programs.

The concert will take place Friday, June 4, at 7 p.m. in Marsee Auditorium. The concert will feature performances from EC’s student body, along with performers from the South Bay community.

EOPS is a state funded program that accommodates about 1,500 students.

Due to the state budget cuts, EOPS had to reject hundreds of students last semester who fit the criteria but were just too late in returning applications for a program that operates on a first come first, served basis.

“We saw a lot of people who wanted to go to school, but were unable to afford it,” Claudia Vasquez, director of EOPS, said.

“With the budget cuts made by the state, we only had a certain number of people we could allow into the program,” she said.

To be eligible for the EOPS program, students must attend college with at least 12 units. Students must also have less than 50 units prior to being accepted to the program, along with having a financial and educational need for the program.

“We’re doing this concert in the hopes that we can raise money for students who want an education but are unable to pay for it,” Nancy Rangel, EOPS supervisor, said. “We want to be able to provide a program that can help everyone who needs it.”

Auditions for the concert were held in April to select a wide variety of performers. The performers were picked by the EOPS supervisors who looked for people who would put on the best show and be able to make the most money for the program.

“We held auditions and picked only the most talented performers,” Vasquez said.

“This was not an easy process. Everyone who tried out for the concert was really talented and it was not easy telling someone who worked really hard that we were going with someone else,” she said.

“I think everybody who attends the concert will have a great time because we got performers from almost every genre of music and not only that, the proceeds go to a great cause,” said Vasquez.

“I am hoping that there will be a good turnout because this is great program with not enough money,” Rangel said.

The cost of the concert is $5 for students with an ID, while general admission is $10. Tickets can be purchased at the EC box office or inside the EOPS office.