ECC baseball team beats Cerritos College in pitching duel

El Camino College baseball team’s pitcher and designated hitter Aaron Orozco gets the strikeout of a Cerritos College hitter in the top of the sixth inning of their game on Saturday, Feb. 29 at Warrior Field. Orozco pitched a complete game shutout to aid the Warriors completed the season sweep of Cerritos College. Kealoha Noguchi/The Union

The El Camino College baseball team completed a three-game series sweep as they shutout Cerritos College behind a dominant pitching performance on Saturday, February 29 at Warrior Field.

Warriors pitcher and designated hitter Aaron Orozco turned in his best pitching performance of the season earning his first win in ECC’s 1-0 victory.

“I haven’t had my same velocity as I had last season so far today, I was just trying to locate pitches and let my defense do work,” Orozco said.

Orozco tossed a complete game 1-hit shutout, striking out two batters while issuing three walks. He also scored the lone run in the game after he doubled to lead off the bottom of the second inning and came around to score on a Juan Carlos Camarena sacrifice fly.

“My flaws [I need to get corrected] right now is trying to follow through on my pitches, trying to locate better and not walk as many guys,” Orozco said.

Warriors third baseman Diego Alarcon added two hits and is now sitting at a .397 batting average on the season.

Cerritos pitcher Andrew Arguello pitched eight innings, allowed five hits, one run, one walk and struck out five as he was hit with his third loss of the season.

The Warriors (11-6, 5-1 in conference) hit the road for their next game against Los Angeles Harbor College on Tuesday, March 3 at 2 p.m.

“[For the rest of the season I’ll be] trying to keep my composure [and] just trying to be level headed whenever times get tough,” Orozco said.