Women’s basketball head coach Steve Shaw awarded SCC Coach of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Steve Shaw, head coach for EC Warriors women's basketball has been coaching for twenty seasons at EC. Photo credit: Ryan Guitare

Head coach Steve Shaw has coached the womens basketball team for 20 seasons and was recently awarded his second consecutive South Coast Conference (SCC) Coach of the Year award after coaching the Warriors through a 21-7 record and an 8-0 conference play.

“It’s really satisfying, you play games because you want to win so it really is the icing on the cake of going through the processes if you can win also,” Shaw said.

Shaw expressed his pride in his team for the way it played this season despite high competition.

“To have that kind of a record against the kind of competition we played against, playing against all of the best teams in Southern California throughout the year, that’s impressive,” Shaw said.

Shaw stated one of his favorite parts of coaching is being able to watch the growth of his team throughout the season.

“I love going through that process and seeing where our teams end up from the place where we start,” Shaw said.

While the SCC Coach of the Year award was awarded due to his coaching abilities, Shaw noted that he owes his success to the team’s efforts.

“Even when I tell my players when they receive individual recognition is the individual recognition comes from a result of team success,” Shaw said. “Not always but typically the coach that wins the conference is coach of the year so because my team was a good team and they did what they were supposed to do I get recognition.”

About the Writer
Faith Petrie, Opinion, Arts, Social Media, and Managing Editor

Faith Petrie is a second semester, Journalism major at El Camino College. This is her second semester on The Union newspaper. She enjoys listening to a...

• Women’s basketball head coach Steve Shaw awarded SCC Coach of the Year

News

The number of student athletes had increased recently

Sports

Going the distance

Sports

Q&A with EC linebacker Quinn Perry

• Sports

Player’s Corner

• Sports

Football team trails early, loses to Riverside City College in first round of playoffs

Sports

Football team advances to playoffs

Sports

EC men’s soccer team drops last game of season, misses out on playoffs

Sports

EC women’s soccer team end their season with a win over Pasadena City College

Sports

Men’s basketball team record an injury and get blown out by Pasadena City College

Sports

Men’s basketball record an injust and a blowout against Pasadena City College