Women’s basketball head coach Steve Shaw awarded SCC Coach of the Year

Steve Shaw, head coach for EC Warriors women’s basketball has been coaching for twenty seasons at EC. Photo credit: Ryan Guitare

Head coach Steve Shaw has coached the womens basketball team for 20 seasons and was recently awarded his second consecutive South Coast Conference (SCC) Coach of the Year award after coaching the Warriors through a 21-7 record and an 8-0 conference play.

“It’s really satisfying, you play games because you want to win so it really is the icing on the cake of going through the processes if you can win also,” Shaw said.

Shaw expressed his pride in his team for the way it played this season despite high competition.

“To have that kind of a record against the kind of competition we played against, playing against all of the best teams in Southern California throughout the year, that’s impressive,” Shaw said.

Shaw stated one of his favorite parts of coaching is being able to watch the growth of his team throughout the season.

“I love going through that process and seeing where our teams end up from the place where we start,” Shaw said.

While the SCC Coach of the Year award was awarded due to his coaching abilities, Shaw noted that he owes his success to the team’s efforts.

“Even when I tell my players when they receive individual recognition is the individual recognition comes from a result of team success,” Shaw said. “Not always but typically the coach that wins the conference is coach of the year so because my team was a good team and they did what they were supposed to do I get recognition.”