Baseball team wins game two of the series versus L.A. Harbor College

Freshman Brady Dorn connects with a pitch during a home game against LA Harbor College Thursday, April 14. The Warriors defeated the Seahawks, 8-2, to make it their 11th conference win this season. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Down by five with one out in the top of the eighth inning and two runners on base, L.A. Harbor College had one last chance to get back in the game.

Seahawks right fielder Arron Scognamillo sat on a change up and lined a ball to the right side where Warriors’ sophomore first baseman Jake Sahagian leaped into the air and snagged the ball, stepped on first for an inning-ending double play.

“At first off the bat I was a little scared,” freshman starting pitcher Sebastian Sanchez said. “But then I saw he had it.”

The El Camino College baseball team beat L.A. Harbor, 8-2, on Thursday thanks to another complete game from Sanchez, who gave up one earned run and struck out six batters.

The win was Sanchez’s fifth complete game of the season and he’s now 8-1 with a 2.56 ERA.

“He threw strikes, we’ve seen this before; he goes out and establishes the strike zone,” coach Nate Fernley said. “He threw first pitch strikes and not only with the fastball but with the change up, and when you do that they get off balance and that’s what he did today.”

Offensively, the Warriors received contributions from up and down the lineup. Sophomore third baseman and cleanup hitter Zack Ferreira went 3-5 with two RBIs, and freshman second baseman Kyle Henmi, the number nine hitter, went 3-4 with two RBIs.

Sophomore right fielder Nick Sablock also went 3-5 while adding a team-leading three RBIs.

“I felt really good, I know that being the three hitter they’re trying to get me out and nitpick,” Sablock said. “But with my approach, and things I’ve been working on in practice, I’ve been feeling really good.

The Warriors’ offense continues to bunch hits together as they tallied 18 on the day.

“When we talked a few weeks ago it (the offense) was fluttering a little bit,” Fernley said. “Not everybody was hitting as well as they’re capable of and now it’s all coming around.”

The baseball team has now won 9 of its last 10 games.

“You like to be at the end of the year playing your best baseball and it’s been fun to watch.” Fernley added.

The Warriors will go on the road to play L.A. Harbor in the last game of the series on Saturday at noon.