Baseball team defeats East L.A. College to even the series

Connor Underwood, freshman catcher, slides into homebase and scores for the Warriors during the March 10 match against the East Los Angeles College Huskies. Photo credit: Sue Hong

The baseball game was heading into the bottom of the seventh inning and the momentum was in East Los Angeles’ favor after scoring three runs in the top of the inning to tie the game.

Warriors’ freshman catcher Connor Underwood was set to lead off the inning as he came into the box and lined a single into center.

“We had to get something going, and get the momentum back.” Underwood said. “I wasn’t trying to do too much I was just trying to put a ball in play.”

Two batters later, freshman second baseman Kyle Henmi laced a double down the right field line and with the help of a bobble from the right fielder, Underwood was able to score all the way from first to give the Warriors the lead once again.

“I didn’t think I was going to score, I guess the guy bobbled it, I didn’t see.” Underwood said. “I just kept looking at the third base coach and he kept on wheeling me so I didn’t stop.”

The Warriors’ offense scored three runs early in the first inning but were held in check until that momentum swinging 2-run seventh inning. El Camino held on for a 5-3 win over the Huskies on Thursday.

“It was the key to the game,” coach Nate Fernley said. “When they scored three we scored two right away and that’s kind of one of those things momentum wise, that shuts them down.”

The baseball team lost its first conference game of the season earlier this week on the road to East L.A. College but the Warriors had one of their top pitchers on the mound on Thursday.

Starting pitcher Sebastian Sanchez came into today coming off of back to back complete games, and refused to let his team lose on Thursday.

Sanchez pitched all nine innings once again, giving up seven hits and three runs, making that three straight complete games for the freshman pitcher.

“It was a really big win, it’s our house and we needed to win.” Sanchez said.

With the 5-3 win, the Warriors now sit at 10-5, (1-1 SCC ) and go on the road for the series finale against East LA College on Saturday at 2 p.m.