Pitching leads the way in baseball’s 5-2 win over L.A. Mission College

After coming off a complete game in his last start, baseball’s starting pitcher came up big on Saturday throwing another solid nine innings.

Freshman pitcher Sebastian Sanchez came ready to pitch during El Camino’s 5-2 win over visiting L.A. Mission College on Saturday.

“I felt good, I had good location and a good feel for the change up.” Sanchez said. “I didn’t want to give them a first pitch right down the middle, so I wanted to locate well and execute with the change up.”

Sanchez gave up three hits, allowed one earned run, struck out six and did not walk a single batter on 77 total pitches.

“If you saw last week’s game you saw this game.” coach Nate Fernley said. “He threw strikes, with only 77 pitches, a major league record is 76.”

Sanchez’s last start was similar to this one as he gave up the same amount of runs, giving him two quality outings in a row.

Sanchez said this was the fewest amount of pitches he’s ever thrown in a complete game.

The Warriors’ offense got on the board early as they scored three runs in the first inning led by a 2-run home run by sophomore Zack Ferreira.

“Barba laid down a nice drag bunt and got on,” Ferreira said. “I just got a good pitch, fastball up and put a good swing on it.”

That is now four home runs in the last five games for the number three hitter Ferreira.

“When you’re seeing it, you’re really seeing it,” Fernley said. “And we’ll take them right now.”

The Warriors’ record stands at 8-4 as they go on the road to play Cypress College on Tuesday at 2 p.m.