Offense erupts as baseball pummels Imperial Valley College, 27-2

After having its five-game winning streak snapped on the road on Tuesday, the baseball team was looking to get back a win.

In the fifth inning, the Warriors went with the long ball as sophomore outfielder Jonathan Pasillas launched a grand-slam to left field and sophomore third baseman Zack Ferreira hit a solo home run to right field.

The El Camino baseball team revved its engines and more than doubled its highest run total on the season (12), and pummeled visiting Imperial Valley College by the final score of 27-2, on Thursday.

“Well we really didn’t play well on Tuesday so it was nice to score a bunch of runs and kind of get our mojo back a little bit,” coach Nate Fernley said.

The Warriors had contributions from the entire team and everyone in the starting line-up tallied at least one hit on the day.

“Right now I’m seeing the ball well,” Ferreira said. “I just need to stay with it and keep doing my thing.”

Ferreira’s run marks his third home run in the last four games.

The starting pitcher for the Warriors was freshman Taylor Rashi who went five innings and giving up just one run that was unearned, three hits, walked five and struck out nine batters.

Fernley said that they would have liked Rashi to throw less pitches; that’s why they had to take him out after five but his pitching was fine.

“It’s the best,” Rashi said of the offensive explosion. “They (Imperial Valley) scored first but (then) we come out and kept putting up run after run after run, there’s no better feeling than that.”

The Warriors move to 7-4 on the season and will host L.A. Mission College on Saturday at 2 p.m.