Baseball beats San Bernardino Valley College 5-2, notching fifth-straight win

Sophomore first baseman Jake Sahagian slides into second base after a San Bernardino Valley College second baseman fails to get Sahagian out during the second inning. The Warriors defeat San Bernardino Valley College 5-2 on Saturday Feb. 20. Photo credit: John Fordiani

It was the fifth inning and the Warriors were leading 2-0 as San Bernardino Valley College baseball was threatening to cut the lead in half with a runner on third and two outs.

Freshman pitcher Sebastian Sanchez induced a soft ground ball to sophomore third baseman Zack Ferreira who came charging in to make the do or die bare-handed play to get the runner by a half-step and keep San Bernardino off the board.

In the bottom half of the inning Ferreira came up to bat with two-runners on.

He belted a three-run bomb to right center making it a 5-0 game.

“You know every game there is going to be those type of situations,” coach Nate Fernley said. “Where you’re sitting there and if they get a double it’s almost a tie game. Then Zack comes up and got a pitch that he was sitting on and hits a home run and that turned the momentum.”

The Warriors (6-3 overall, 0-0 in conference) went on to win 5-2 collecting their fifth-straight win with Ferreira’s hit.

“There were two runners on and I was looking for something up and I got the pitch,” Ferreira said. “It was off-speed but it was up and I put a good swing on it and it went out.”

Those five runs turned out to be all that starting pitcher Sanchez needed as he pitched a complete game, only giving up 6 hits, 1 earned run, walked 2 and struck out 7 batters.

“Its pretty satisfying,” Sanchez said [when talking about pitching all 9 innings].

The Warriors beat San Bernardino twice earlier this week and were playing for the third time in five days.

“I think we had a better idea of how to pitch (to) them,” Fernely said. “You know after awhile you see what they’re swinging at and see some of their tendencies. We had a pretty good game plan on how to throw to them and Sanchez just did a great job of executing.”

The warriors next game is on the road Tuesday against LA Mission College at 2 p.m.