Error-prone men’s volleyball falls to San Diego City

Freshman outsider Chris Phanngam spikes the ball past San Diego City College middle blockers Zachary Kramer and Charles Rosen on Wednesday Feb. 17. The Warriors lost to the Knights 4-0. Photo credit: Sue Hong

After losing a heart breaker to Golden West last Friday, the El Camino men’s volleyball team was poised and seemingly ready to make it back to .500.

Unfortunately, the team proved that it wasn’t ready when it went against the undefeated San Diego City College Knights on Wednesday.

The Warriors (1-3 overall, 0-0 in conference) fell at the hands of the Knights (4-0, 0-0), 3-1 (25-20, 20-25, 17-25, 17-25) in sets.

“(Tonight was) terrible,” EC head coach Dick Blount said. “We took a step backwards and (San Diego) outplayed us at every position.”

Fifty-one total errors on the match coming from 29 attacking errors, seven serving errors, three reception errors, seven blocking errors and five ball-handling errors.

Although despite SD City’s 48 errors, co-captain and sophomore middle blocker Peter Nordel said that the Knights played pretty solid.

“They were definitely beatable, but there were a lot of errors (on us),” he said.

Nordel added that there are four things the team needs to work on: communication, reducing the errors in serving, reducing the errors in passing and working harder.

But the team has 20 total players dressed for every game and there are many rotations that Blount is trying out because he hasn’t found the “best six guys.”

Freshman libero Eric Veliz agreed with the coach on that point.

“We need time to find a cohesive six,” he said. “The six (starters) haven’t done their job of finishing the game. (Today) the team fluctuated (in its performance), there were moments of greatness and moments of low-level play.”

All four setters, sophomores Nick Jimenez and Michael Otazu and freshmen Josh Wood and Pedro Campos played in the four-set loss; and although they combined for 30 assists, there needs to be improvement.

“Each setter has their own strengths,” Nordel said. “(But) for me, (I feel like) I’m not connecting with them, and that didn’t happen last year.”

The Warriors go on the road to face San Diego Mesa College on Friday at 6 p.m.