Warrior’s freshmen step up in victory

With the game close and the crowd electric, freshman Ashley Morimoto, setter, came through with an ace in a critical moment in the final volleyball set against Long Beach City College last Friday.
That play helped motivate and propel the Warriors to victory against a LBCC in EC’s South Gym.
The two teams went back and forth as the game was decided in five sets 26-28, 25-16, 25-22, 23-25, 15-11.
“It was awesome!” Morimoto said. “Really intense, this is how I thought a college game should be like.”
“I just remember when I went back to serve, I looked at (coach) Pattinson to see where she wanted me to serve it,” Morimoto said “I hit an ace and the room got electric, and I was happy to see the team light up.”
Even her teammates were excited.
“We were all screaming,” freshman Kaleialani Manica, outside hitter, said.
“Coming off the bench, it was not something we expected. I was proud of Ashley,” Manica said.
The Warriors improve their record to 9-3, 3-0 and extend their conference winning streak to 31 games.
Freshman Nicole Echeverri, outside hitter, had a balanced game with eight kills, six digs, four aces and two blocks.
Sophomore Suekalena Tafao, setter, led the team with 40 assists.
“A win proves to us that we have to be on top of our game, we have to put in more work in practice,” Morimoto said.
Once again, the freshmen off the bench chipped in.
“I try to get the team to re-focus,” Morimoto said. “I believe a bench player should help bring energy to the team.”
“Our freshmen played really well. Elise Tizon, Morimoto and Manica dug a ball out,” Pattison, said.
Long Beach was one of the better teams in the conference and the Warriors expected a close game.
“They were very good defensively,” Freshman Lindsey Colbert, said. “They dug a lot of balls out and were scrappy.”
“They played smart, they didn’t let balls drop,” Tizon said.
Manica said she thinks the team can go far in the playoffs.
“(We’re going) all the way if we get better. We will be fine,” Manica said.
On Oct. 3, the Warriors played against Harbor College and won in three sets 25-14, 25-9, 25-20.
Sophomore Tarryn Luafalemana, outside hitter, led the way with 11 kills and 13 digs.
Sophomore Nigeria Owens, middle blocker, added nine kills, two digs and three blocks.
“Laufalemana was able to find open spots on the court,” Morimoto said. “She did a really good job on defense and was very talkative.”
The Warriors were consistent across the board.
“Coach mixed up the lineup,” Tizon said. “We were consistent with the fundamentals: passing, serving and blocking,”