Warriors feel the heat in San Diego

This past weekend the Warriors had a two-day competition at the San Diego Mesa Invitational against four colleges Friday and Saturday.

Tarryn Luafalemana, outside hitter, had a balanced game with eight kills, 11 digs and three blocks in the second match of tournament.

At the tournament, the team beat Cuesta College in five sets 25-20, 22-25, 26-28, 25-21, 15-5, and Riverside College 22-25, 25-16, 23-25, 27-25, 15-5. The team lost to Bakersfield College 19-25, 29-31, 24-26 and Grossmont College 16-25, 25-27, 25-18, 22-25.

The first game of the weekend was against Cuesta College, and the Warriors had a difficult time, but were able to edge Cuesta out.

“We played inconsistent, we did not come ready to play,” Le Valley Pattison, coach, said.

Nigeria Owens, middle blocker, had 18 kills and seven blocks, and Elise Tizon, outside hitter, added 11 kills and six digs.

The second match of the tournament was against Riverside and it was a tough game, but the Warriors ended up with a win.

“We were happy to win,” Pattison said.

“We started out slow.”

“I think the heat affected everyone,” she said.

She said some people dealt with it better than others.

Owens added nine kills and two digs.

In the third match of the tournament, the Warriors lost to Bakersfield in three games on Saturday.

The weather might have had an effect on some of the players, but they knew that it was not an excuse.

The games took place inside the gym at San Diego Mesa College, which had no air conditioning.

“We lost to Bakersfield in the third game,” Tizon said.

“There is no excuse, but I think the heat contributed to our loss. And the 106-degree temperature was not helping the team to perform well,” Tizon said.

Britney Kronberger, middle blocker, got some playing time and Pattison said she was encouraged to see that.

Nicole Echeverri, outside hitter, had 11 kills and five digs.

In the final game, the Warriors went up against Grossmont, but came up short.

“Grossmont was a good; team it was a close game, we were not making plays we needed to work on our ball control,” Pattison said.

“We were not executing when the pressure was on late in the game,” Pattison said.

Tizon led the way with 14 kills and 12 digs. Echeverri chipped in with 10 kills and 11 digs.

After a tough loss to Cypress, the Warriors rebounded as they dominated College of the Canyons and swept them in three games.

The Women’s volleyball team beat College of the Canyons 25-20, 25-14, 25-19. Luafalemana led the way with six kills, nine digs and two blocks. Nigeria Owens contributed with five blocks and nine digs.

Pattison was pleased with the teams’ performance, but knows they still have some work to do.

“We took care of the ball a little bit better, we still made some errors on passing that we need to clean up,” Pattison said.

“We just need more time together; we are kind of learning each other tendencies,” Pattison said.

The Warriors’ defense was huge in its success against College of the Canyons.

“Blocking,” Luafalemana said. “Our blocking was much better and our serves were much better.”

Towards the end of the third game, Pattison started to pull some of the starters.

“It was good to see contributions from people who haven’t been yet,” Liz Hazell, assistant coach, said.

Suekalena Tafao entered the game for the first time this season.

Towards the end of the third set College of the Canyons made a comeback and wasn’t going down without a fight.

“We have to take care of the ball when the score is in 20s. You can’t make errors in the 20s,” Pattison said.