Warriors take on State Championship

The men’s and women’s track and field team competed in the Southern California State Championships last weekend at Cerritos College.

Representing the men’s side was Victor Martin who placed third in the shot put, throwing a personal best of 53-2 ¼ . With that score, Martin keeps his place as EC’s 8th all-time shot put performer.

Rukayah Bent- Mikail defended her state title in the triple jump with her 39-10 foot performance. This will be Bent-Mikail’s third time as  EC’s all-time performer in the triple jump and 10th all-time performer in the long jump.

The women’s 1600-meter team of Bent-Mikail, Courtney Morning, Isis Garland, and Ronisha Vallery placed 4th.

Vallery also placed 4th in the long jump at 17-10 ¼, making her EC’s 8th All-Time performer in the long jump at 19-1.
“Rukayah Bent-Mikail won the triple jump with her personal best mark and she is the defending state champion in the event,” Dean Lofgren, coach, said.

Salina Ropati placed 5th in the shot put with her season best throw of 42-7 ½ . Ropati placed 7th as EC’s all-time shot put performer at 42-9.

Isis Garland placed 6th in the 200-meter in the season with a 24.82 run.

Katrina Wilbanks placed 8th in the pole vault at 11-10. Wilbanks is the school record holder in the pole vault at 12-10.
“I have a ritual every time before I vault. I don’t really know why I have it but it helps me to get into the zone and do my best,” Wilbanks said.

The women’s track and field team concluded their season with 28 points and placed 10th overall
“We have seen steady improvement from almost every athlete this season,” Lofgren said.