Warriors end season after loss in super regionals

With its sight set on the state championship, the Warriors played against Santa Ana College’s Dons and the Riverside Tigers in a four-team double-elimination tournament that was to be the road to the final four.

Hopes for a state championship were eliminated when the team lost in the best-out-of-three series.

“We couldn’t sustain the momentum we needed,” Sean Isaac, pitcher, said.

The Warriors first game against the Dons lacked momentum in runs as the team lost, 3-9.

“They would score on their hits,” Isaac said. “They were a very disciplined team.”

With a loss during the first round of games, the Warriors then played the Tigers which resulted in a win, 6-4.

The Warriors scored runs early on in the first three innings, which sustained them all the way through the bottom of the seventh inning when they scored an additional run.

“Ralph Ramirez came in and did a great job, allowing our offense to score runs,” Tony Asaro, assistant coach, said.

The win against the Tigers resulted in the Warriors having to play against the Dons once more and requiring a win in order to advance to the state championship.

Not being able to get a win against the Dons, the Warriors lost, 6-9.

The Warriors ended the season as No. 3 in the South Coast Conference.

A team that has been consistent with wins over losses, it garnered a batting average of .277, with 11 home runs in the season and overall 30 wins over 11 losses.

“I think there are only a few teams able to set those types of goals (regionals and state championship) and I think we’re one of them,” Asaro said.

With discipline and hard work at the core of its center the Warriors have had a long season that was full of accomplishments.

“I’m proud of the way they performed, especially in the end,” Asaro said. “I think this year was definitely a success. When these guys look back they should be proud of the things they were able to do.”