Warriors confident as season ends

Shrieking screams of relief, exuberant clapping and jumping were sights to behold at the women’s badminton team’s regular season finale against East L.A. last Wednesday at EC.

After three straight defeats at the hands of bitter rival East L.A., the Warriors finally got the chance to cross them off of their hit list by beating them, 16-5, in their final team match of the season.

“It was a good win for us,” Jaymie Baquero, coach, said. “Our hard work has finally paid off.”

Now that the team portion of the season is over, conference playoffs will start Friday and everyone is considered eligible.

“Everyone was on their A-game which wasn’t much of a shock,” Corrine Belandres said.

Belandres won all her games, which were one singles match and one doubles match.

“This season has been so great,” Belandres said. “In terms of this being the best win of my career its pretty high up there.”

Becca Maier played East L.A.’s fifth and sixth ranked players and won both games.

“I improved on serves and moving them from side to side,” Maier said.

Shannon Hornbeck played East L.A.’s third and fourth ranked players.

“I believe it was my best game all season and I improved on learning how to read the other opponents’ placement of the bird,” Hornbeck said.

Callie Rodela played East L.A.’s fifth ranked player and won all her matches with the exception of one doubles match.

“That was the best game I played all season,” Rodela said. “I’m proud of us and it was really nice that we came together because it felt like we really accomplished our goal.”

The team finished the regular season on a two-game win streak.

“I felt pure excitement and joy when we won and it was one of those sports days that I’ll never forget,” Hornbeck said.

The South Coast Conference women’s badminton individual tournament at Manhattan Beach Badminton Club took place on Friday.

Corrine Belandres was a third place California Community College Athletic Association state qualifier in the singles competition and a third place CCCAA state qualifier in the doubles competition with her partner Kumiko Hoguchi.

“These girls are a lot better from where they started,” Belandres said.

Rebecca Maier and her partner, Shannon Hornbeck were fifth place CCCAA state qualifiers.

“I’m sad the seasons over,” Maier said. “I can’t wait for next year.”