Softball team end losing streak

After a three game losing streak, the Warriors won against PCC at Pasadena’s Robinson Park, 11-7, on March 8, 2012. This followed a devastating loss, 13-0, against Cerritos at home on March 6.

In the top of the third inning against Pasadena City College, Jacklyn Peyrefitte, third baseman and pitcher, was first up to bat.

The game was tied, 2-2. No one scored during the second inning.

Peyrefitte hit a double.

During this inning, each player was able to bat, some twice. After two outs, six girls went up to bat and six scored runs before the Warriors struck out, ending the third inning with nine-point lead, 11-2.

The team began to lose its fire after the third inning, and Pasadena began to come back, scoring two runs in the fifth inning and three in the sixth. Neither team scored the rest of the game.

This may have been due in part due to the Warriors’ attitude going in.

“On Tuesday there were a lot of jitters because Cerritos was nearly undefeated. They were the team to beat. We weren’t as nervous on Thursday. We had fun,” Yasmin Antonio, right fielder, said.

This time they also took an early lead against Pasadena. Falling behind early in the game was an ongoing problem the Warriors have been facing this season.

“We actually started out strong. From the start of the game, we led,” Eliana Gomez, second baseman, said.

The Warriors have been hard at work trying to improve on pitches that have proven difficult for them, particularly outside pitches.

The team worked hard on these pitches to prepare for their last game.

“We practiced everything that we could have done better before,” Antonio said.

This was a particularly interesting game, not just due to the fact that the Warriors broke their losing streak and had an amazing two out rally in the third.

It isn’t that there’s a huge rivalry between the teams, or the fact that Pasadena had beaten El Camino, 7-6, earlier this year.

It was an especially intense game because El Camino’s softball coach, Elaine Martinez, coached PCC prior to her move to ECC this year.

“It was a lot of fun to come back,” Martinez said in an interview with Richard Quinton, a writer for the Pasadena softball team news. “I gained great experience there, and now I’m on to a new chapter in coaching El Camino.”