Men’s Volleyball team channel Tim Tebow

“If you compete hard for each point, everything will go your way. Have a Tim Tebow type mindset, and just win. That’s just what we did, players were diving for balls even at the end of the game,” Hunter Hovland, outside hitter, said.

Despite any nervousness going into the game, the baseball team took a crushing 3-0 win against Santa-Monica on Wednesday, March 7.

It was an away match with scores of 25-19, 25-16, 25-14.

The home team posed as a daunting opponent to the Warriors, and was the object of much anticipation, Richard Blount, coach, said.

“We thought they’d be dangerous, going in. The game was televised, also, so that put a lot of pressure on our players. We made some errors we don’t usually; we had 7 nets and 2 unders,” Blount said.

“We started off playing kind of slow, but in the second or third game we picked it up,” Dusitn Ihde, middle blocker, said.

“Once we steadied out, got used to the gym, the lights, how they were hitting, we woke up and started playing much cleaner,” Blount said

The Warriors were hitting well above their averages, with Hovland hitting a .667 attack percentage, and Joseph Tanuvasa, setter, and Daniel Welch, middle blocker, hitting 1.000, Blount said.

“We played probably one of our best matches,” Ihde said. “If we keep playing like this we should do really well this year.”

The Warriors have every intention of doing so. “We have a great opportunity to raise the bar here. We’re going to play well and pull in the wins,” Blount said.

“You know EC’s never been a top school. Well, we’re trying to prove people wrong about us and make history this year,” Hovland said.