Steir’s effort not enough for win

When Andrew Stier, freshmen, won his match, the Warriors were poised to get revenge for a previous 3-6 loss to Mt. San Antonio. If only Stier played all the matches for the tennis team.

Injuries, mind games and a loss of confidence all contributed to the 8-1 loss to Mt. SAC last Thursday at home. The Warriors are now 2-3 for the season.

The team’s next match will be today at 2 p.m. at Long Beach City College.

“All of my teammates looked really good out there on the court,” Steir said. “I think it must have been the head games that Mt. SAC was playing that got to the rest of the team.”

Some of those head games though were self-inflicted.

“I’ve got quite a bit of outside personal problems that I shouldn’t have brought to the court with me,” Usama Ehsan, freshmen, said. “Although our team has improved substantially since the last time we fought them, our mindset was not stable and I think that is what lost it for us.”

Sammy Macias, freshmen, said the team is getting a little too confident with its game play and needs to work more on “expecting the worst and hope for the best.”

“We walked out onto the court with our heads high and finally ready to beat them,” Macias said. “I think instead we should remain humble and let the score do the talking.”

Due to a wrist injury in a previous match, Macias said he was not feeling the way that he had wanted.

“It seems that I get a new injury every week,” Macias said. “First it was my chest and now it is my wrist. There must be some wicked curse out on the course for me.”

As for Ehsan, his Achilles strain healed completely, but said it was his confidence that was hurting during the match.

“I was up in the first set but the wind was blowing made it really tough to follow through,” Ehsan said. “I believe if I would have won that first set then I probably would have won the entire match. All I needed was that confidence boost.”

Steve Van Kanegan, coach, said the Warriors will need to continue to work harder in practice and let injuries to the top players heal.

The Warriors will face Mt. SAC for a third and final time in the season on March 23.

Despite the two losses to them, Stier is not backing down.

“Give us some time to work hard and to prepare and we will beat Mt. SAC,” Stier said.