Softball shuts out Barstow for first win of season

Opposing teams have had little trouble in stopping the softball team from scoring. Against Barstow however, only the mercy rule held the Warriors back.

The umpire called it a game after five innings as the Warriors defeated Barstow 12-0 at home last Saturday for the first win of the regular season.

The victory was also the first at the new softball field.

“It felt great, we finally baptized the field and we won (here) for the first time,” Jackie Gallaza, third baseman, said.

The team’s next game will be at 3 p.m. today at Pasadena.

“I think it felt great to mercy Barstow, it felt nice,” Alyssa Stout, starting pitcher, said. “I did pretty good and only a couple of player’s got on base and no one scored, so that was good.”

Stout went all five innings and allowed four hits and no runs and walked none and struck out three against Barstow.

It was Stout’s first win of the regular season. She also picked up the only win they had in the Golden West Tournament.

“Alyssa did a good job pitching,” Jennifer Hernandez, second baseman, said of Stout’s performance. “It went really well, we won (the game) and it was exciting, it was a good confidence booster,” Hernandez said.

Susie Calderon, coach, said she was glad to pick up the win and was impressed by Barstow.

“It went well. (Barstow’s) pitching was OK, their outfield was good too and (we) had to make adjustments to that,” Calderon said. “We hit well and our pitching wasn’t that well, but a win is a win and we’ll take it.”

Herandez, Natasha Milosevich, first baseman, and Katie McGoldrick, catcher combined to hit 7-11 and batted in six runs.

The team was coming off a 12-1 loss to Cerritos College last Tuesday at home and an 8-0 loss to Long Beach City College last Thursday on the road.

The 9-0 loss to Mt. San Antonio College at home this past Tuesday ended any chance of winning consecutive games for the first time this season. The game also ended in the fifth inning because of the mercy rule.

“It is tough losing. It was a good win for us and that win carried over to the first three innings Tuesday because they played tough,” Calderon said.

Stout started the game against Mt. SAC as well. She went five innings and allowed nine hits and nine runs and walked five and struck out two this past Tuesday.

Shannon Brown, outfielder, was injured during the top of the first inning and did not return. Stout got hit in the shin in the top of the fourth inning, but was able to stay in the game.

With nine conference games left in the schedule, there is still a chance to make the playoffs. The Warriors need all the wins they can, mercy rule or not.