Men’s tennis team serves up big win at home

Warrior Andrew Stier said it’s a common trend for them to let out their aggression in order to get into the opponent’s head. With teammates Usama Ehsan and Sammy Macias, that’s exactly what they did.
The Warriors, led by its 3 best players, defeated Long Beach City 6-3 last Tuesday at El Camino to open the season. “This win against (Long Beach) symbolizes that we are out there and that we can become No. 1 in our division,” Ehsan said.
Long Beach will look for some revenge as the 2 teams face-off again today. The game begins at 2 p.m. at El Camino.
Despite the final score of 6-3, coach Steve Van Kanegan said the game was a close match. “The boys played real well,” Van Kanegan said. “We had a real solid effort from the top of our ladder, meaning our top three players.”
The top of the ladder includes Ehsan, Stier and Macias. “Overall we did well in our match on Tuesday but we could have done better,” Stier said.
Maintaining his stamina was a key factor for Stier, and one of the keys to getting the victory. “I felt that I was prepared for the match but one thing I need to work on is my endurance,” Stier said. “During the long rallies I get quite fatigued.”
Before every match and during every practice the team works on specific tactics to prepare them for their upcoming matches. For Ehsan it’s all about getting up-close and personal.
“Before my most recent match with (Long Beach) I practiced more on approach shots and volleys,” Ehsan said. “Approach shots give you more of an aggressive style and mentality by being able to show your opponent that you’re not afraid to get in their face.” This certain method, Ehsan said, allows players to “dictate” the points throughout the match.
For Stier however, it’s not about aggression but about technique. “The sports that I used to play, like golf and baseball, only allowed me to be more consistent with my backhand and (Van Kanegan) has been working with me a lot with being more comfortable with the forehand,” Stier said.
The team rebounded from its 9-0 loss it had against Orange Coast College. Ehsan’s body might not have been ready for the game, but his mind sure was.
“Last Fridays match against Orange Coast College I suffered an Achilles strain,” Ehsan said. “Physically I was not prepared for our match against (Long Beach), but mentally, I was down right brutal.”