Soccer Team Hopes to Keep Winning Streak

Undefeated in their last four games, Tony Sandoval and the Warriors made sure the team would keep that streak alive. The forward-captain scored three goals for the hat trick as EC defeated Pasadena City College 5-3 on Friday at Murdock Stadium.
“We had a sloppy first half,” Sandoval said. “We were overconfident that they would lay down for us.”
Sandoval scored two goals in the first half, which gave EC a 2-1 lead at the half. He also scored the fifth and final goal to keep the Warriors ahead for good.
A scary moment for the Warriors occurred during the beginning of the second half. Joseph Fernandez, a defender, landed awkwardly on his back after trying to take the ball away from a PCC player.
Eddie Barragan, assistant coach, said he was eventually cleared to play and was back in the game a short time later.
“It was ugly, but we got the win,” Barragan said.
The Warriors had trouble getting Pasadena’s players off of their side of the field, but were still able to limit their shots at the goal. Both teams struggled on making plays in the first half.
German Aparicio, freshman forward, and Alex Martenko, sophomore forward, each scored a goal for the Warriors. Both goals came in the second half of the game.
Pasadena scored on a penalty shot that the official ruled just inside the box. While some Warriors argued the call, Sandoval said it was the correct call.
“(The ball) was in, but it should’ve never gotten there in the first place,” Sandoval said.
Pasadena was frustrated with the calls by the officials. One player got a yellow card while another was told by an official to tell his coach to substitute him.
That is when the Warriors were able to take advantage and score three more goals in the second half.
The Warriors have not lost in all of their previous five games.
“We have four ties and one win, it’s not great but it’s better than a loss,” Barragan said.
The Warriors are now 6-8-5 for the season with a conference record of 3-4-5. The team will be looking to get some revenge for its 9-1 loss to Cerritos earlier in the season. It plays against Cerriots this Tuesday at an away game.
If the team wins, it will have a chance to make the playoffs.
“It’s a must win game for us,” coach John Britton said.