Warriors pass first test of the season

Rival Bakersfield’s 3-point field goal early in the first quarter did more than just put them ahead in the game; it gave the Warriors more than enough reason to hustle and get on the scoreboard.

And that is exactly what they did.

In the second quarter, quarterback Matt Simms threw for a 50-yard pass from the 38-yard line to wide receiver Kenbrell Thompson. Moments later, Simms threw a 13-yard pass to running back Alex Gaines for the touchdown.

The touchdown put the Warriors up 10-3, on their way to a 40-24 win over Bakersfield College, before 2,500 fans at Murdock Stadium on Saturday night.

“It is a fabulous win for us. We have had a big rivalry with Bakersfield for the last 50 years and we beat a very good football team,” coach John Featherstone said. “This was each team’s first test of the season.”

The Warriors had their first big game of the season and were proud of their effort against Bakersfield College.

“Now we start conference play and begin a six-game conference schedule and we get Riverside here this weekend and they always play us tough,” Featherstone said.

Saturday the Warriors will be playing against Riverside College at 6 p.m. in Murdock Stadium as the Tigers come into this weekend’s game with a 1-3 record.

“We had a good game,” tight end Joe Don Duncan said. “Simms threw for 436 yards and had four touchdown throws and Tony Sekona had a good game as well with his 51-yard reception, which set up one of our key touchdowns.”

The Warriors’ win against Bakersfield let other community colleges that they can take on any team coming their way.

“Yes, it was a statement win because we thought that if we can beat Bakersfield we can play with anybody,” Featherstone said.

The Warriors had 521 yards of offense, including 85 on the ground and 436 on the air.

Quarterback Simms went 31 for 44 with 436 yards and four touchdown passes, having his best game of the season so far.

“Simms came of age on Saturday night; he played an outstanding game,” Featherstone said.

Wide receiver Thompkins had 10 catches for 159 yards and two touchdowns.

Running back Tony Sekona had two catches for 54 yards and had a 51-yard recption, which started EC’s first drive of the second half, leading to a touchdown on the next play.

Tight end Jamize Olawale had three catches for 68 yards and had a 32-yard reception, leading to a touchdown two plays later.

On defense, the Warriors held the Renegades to 11 first downs and 206 yards of offense, including 31 yards on the ground and 175 on the air.

Strong Safety Eric Taylor had 12 tackles and a deflation on defense and cornerback Derek Mack had seven tackles and a sack.

On special teams, place kicker Stephen Locke was 4 for 4 on field goals against Bakersfield and he is 10 for 10 on field goals this season.

At the end of the game the Warriors lost wide receiver Mario Miller to injury.

“It was a big win for us, it was a big game and we needed to win that game to prove to ourselves that we are the good team we are,” strong safety Shamar Thornton said.

The Warriors remain the No.1 in the nation, according to jcgridiorn.com.