Banquet honors Hall of Fame co-founder

Hundreds of EC faculty, alumni and athletes gathered at the Los Verdes Golf Course and Country Club April 30 for the 22nd Annual Hall of Fame Ceremony and Banquet.

The banquet contained a note of sadness as the co-founder of the Hall of Fame and EC’s most valued ambassador of 62 years, Ray Southstone, who retired last year, was recognized in a tribute to his work and loyalty.

“El Camino gave me the opportunity to start my educational career,” Southstone said. “Outstanding instructors gave me the support and encouragement to further my career and succeed. EC has given me so much that I am thankful for the opportunity to give something back through my service to the Hall of Fame. It has been gratifying to see so many of my former students succeed in major fields, not only in physical education, but in other fields as well, such as medicine and law.”

The Hall of Fame was the brainchild of Southstone and Dr. James Schwartz, interim dean of the Fine Arts Division and dean of the Health Science and Athletics Division. More than 200 people have been inducted since the Hall of Fame began.

“Twenty-two years ago we had a dream, and now look around. This dream is bigger than we ever imagined it would be. Ray worked extremely hard and he made it a reality,” Schwartz said.

The Hall of Fame is an event that recognizes past and present outstanding athletes and supporters.

“We wanted to develop a process where we could honor outstanding athletes and support our athletic teams while developing a process where we could maintain contact with all of our alumni. We wanted to get them back here where we could visit and create a social atmosphere,” Schwartz said.

“We are here to recognize the women’s championship athletes, student athletes and a guy named Ray,” EC President Dr. Thomas Fallo said.

The 2008 inductees to the Hall of Fame were Norm Becker (football 1953-54); Dana Clyde (football, 1966-68); Rick Dodson (cross country, track, 1982-83); Gene Engle (football, 1975-76, football coach, 1982-present); Robert Hodge (football, 1999-2000); Ron Jacobs (cross country, track, 1961-62, basketball coach 1974-79, meritorious); Suzanne Rampe (volleyball, 1981-82); Dr. James F. Schwartz (Dean of the Health Sciences and Athletics Division, 1975-96, Interim vice president, 1996-2005, meritorious).

The 1981 and 1983 women’s volleyball teams were recognized for their success and coach ‘Sharkie’ Zartman introduced the members and said a little bit about each one.

“I can’t believe I am seeing them after almost thirty years,” Zartman said. “They were the first state championship teams at EC. I am so proud of them because it was a milestone.”

Women’s volleyball coach Le Valley Pattison, a previous Hall of Fame inductee (1998), then introduced the 2007 and 2008 women’s state championship teams.

“The Hall of Fame is a great tradition that EC has,” Pattison said. “It keeps the continuity of the people who leave to come back. They come back and they are proud of their community college experience. It’s a great opportunity to reconnect with old friends.”

Pattison said how important it was for volleyball to be acknowledged.

“My two teams had two phenomenal years and they were really lucky and they had to have a lot of talent to put it all together at the same time. It’s really great for them to see the history and athletic tradition of EC,” Pattison said.

Stephen Peres (basketball, 2007-09) and Ashley Hardy (volleyball 2007-09) were the recipients of the Norm Verry Scholarship, which is awarded to students who are both outstanding athletes and scholars.

“It meant a lot to win a championship and accomplish goals even though a lot of different things that were going on,” Hardy said. “Being able to persevere through all of that really gave me an opportunity to grow. I’ve had a chance to use the resources on the court and in the classroom. I had counselors and teachers and coaches that were backing me. I think it’s rare to have so much support from one school.”

Hardy will attend Seattle Pacifica University in the fall to pursue a psychology major. While Hardy will not play volleyball, she does want to remain in the sport as a coach.

“I do anticipate helping out and staying in the volleyball scene,” Hardy said.

“I want my enthusiasm for volleyball to encourage others.”

Peres and track and field star Faalelea “Na’I” Leni, were the recipients of the James F. Schwartz Athlete of the Year Scholarship.

“I lived in a gym or in a library and it paid off,” Peres, who will be transferring to College of Idaho in the fall, said.

“I feel honored,” Peres said. “It has been a great experience to be at EC.”

“I can’t believe all that EC has done for me. I’m really excited to move on and I feel really well prepared for my future.”