PJ- Traci Granger profile

As she swam her way to the finish line during a recent competition in December, EC instructor Traci Granger thought she just won a race and was just happy to win. Moments later, she surprisingly found out that she had set a new world record.

Granger who finished with a time of 30.60 in the 50-meter butterfly event, set a new world record in the 50-54 age group, shattering the previous mark of 31.16 while competing in the Southern Pacific Masters Association in December 5th of 2008.

The world record is quite an accomplishment by Granger who months prior to setting a world record, also set two national records last spring in her age group at the short course yard championships. Granger set records in the 50-yard butterfly even and 50-yard freestyle with times of 27.19 and 24.92.

Setting records whether it be world or national is becoming routine for Granger. Although she feels that the records she set were quite an honor, she downplays her accolades because for Granger, it is all about having fun.

“Im just honored that I was fortunate to break those records,” Granger said. “Im just very humbled because there were people in that competition that were way faster than me.”

After winning the competition and setting the world record, Granger was in awe and was very shocked because she wasn’t even aware of the record. Granger goes into competitions just competing and having fun and not worrying about records because she doesn’t want to put pressure on herself.

“Whenever I go into a race, I just try my best and not worry about breaking records because I don’t want to put pressure on myself,” Granger said. “After the world record, I look at my name and see that there is a ‘W'(world record) next to it and I was just overjoyed.”

For Granger, setting records and winning competitions does not come easy for her and it requires a lot of dedication and hard work. Granger, 50, practices with a group at the Torrance plunge everyday at 5am. She said that waking up at 4:30 everyday is tough but it requires a lot of focus and determination.

“I swim with a group of wonderful individuals everyday at 5am,” Granger said. “It is freezing cold outside that early in the morning, but having to wake up at 4:30 everyday requires a lot of focus and determination. It is worth it to me.”

It is all about having fun and staying in shape for Granger. She said if it weren’t for her group members being so fun and motivating, she wouldn’t swim everyday that early. Her group members are great and outgoing and it if weren’t for them, Granger wouldn’t be swimming.

“I probably wouldn’t go if it weren’t for them (group members), “Granger said. They are so fun and energetic and they are very motivating. It’s not about being competitive all the time but having fun and they make it worth it for me to wake up that early in the morning.”

Aside from having fun, Granger swims everyday because she wants to be in great shape and wants to stay healthy. Being 50-years-old and staying in shape is a tough task for a lot of people but for Granger, it comes easy because she stays active.

Described as a self-motivating individual, Granger is also a swimming, yoga, first aid, CPR, aerobics and a weight-training instructor in EC. Despite her busy lifestyle, she said it is a sense of accomplishment for her to wake up early everyday to swim knowing she had finished her workout after a long day.

“Before I sleep at night, I think to myself that it is a great thing I worked out already,” Granger said. “When I get home from teaching, I do yardwork, clean the house and cook for my husband and I. I don’t have time during the day to workout so it is an accomplishment for me knowing that I got it out of the way.”

Her work ethic and positive attitude are not only shared with her team mates but are also inflicted upon some of her students.

Cosmetology major Erin Holder said that Granger is a very helpful instructor who is always positive and helpful.

“Traci (Granger) is such a positive teacher, she is always willing to help you out,” Holder, 21, said. “She is the best, she always has a smile on her face and always challenges you to want to do your best.”

Undecided major Scott Smith also recommends Granger as an instructor because of her enthusiasm and happy-go-lucky attitude. Smith, 20, said that Granger never gets upset at her students while gaining respect because of her positive attitude.

“If you need to take a class, take Traci (Granger),” Smith said. “She has such an enthusiastic outlook on life and never gets mad at you. But she is cool though and everyone respects her.”

Granger is an inspiration for older women in their 50s who are struggling to stay in shape while having a busy lifestyle. Granger is not only busy here in EC with her instructing, but is also a busy housewife cleaning and cooking for her and her husband. She said that if she is able to do it, anyone can as well.

“Staying in shape during your late 40s and early 50s is tough because it is such a busy lifestyle for us,” Granger said. “But it requires hard work and dedication. You just have to budget your time. I, along with all the housewives cook, clean and do yardwork as well. Anyone can do it.”

Granger will be competing in another competition in May at the city of Clovis. Like with all records, Granger is not really looking to break any records because she said records are made to be broken even if it is hers

“This coming May, I will just compete and try to win while not focusing too much on records,” Granger said. “Somewhere down the line, records will be broken even if it is my own. Who knows? Maybe I might break someone else’s record.”