Granger sets world swim record

Swimming her way to the finish line during competition in December, physical education professor Traci Granger thought she just won a race and was happy.

Moments later, Granger found out that she had set a world record.

The 50-year-old Granger finished with a time of 30:60 in the 50-meter butterfly event, setting a record in the 50-54 age group. Granger shattered the previous mark of 31:16 while competing in the Southern Pacific Master’s Association Dec. 5-8 in Long Beach.

Granger set records in the 50-yard butterfly event and 50-yard freestyle with times of 27:19 and 24:92.

Although she believes the records she set were an honor, Granger downplays these accolades because for her, it is all about having fun.

“I’m just honored that I was fortunate to break those records,” Granger said.

“Im just very humbled because there were people in that competition that were faster than me.”

Granger goes into competitions to have fun and does not worry about records because she doesn’t want to put pressure on herself.

“Whenever I go into a race, I just try my best and not worry about breaking records because I don’t want to put pressure on myself,” Granger said. “After the world record, I look at my name and see that there is a ‘W'(world record) next to it and I was just overjoyed.”

For Granger, setting records and winning competitions requires a lot of dedication and hard work.

Granger practices with a group at the Torrance Plunge everyday at 5 a.m. She said that waking up at 4:30 in the morning is tough, but requires a lot of focus and determination.

“I swim with a group of wonderful individuals everyday at 5 a.m. It is freezing cold outside that early in the morning, but having to wake up at 4:30 a.m. requires a lot of focus and determination. It is worth it to me,” Granger said.

It is all about having fun and staying in shape for Granger.

“I probably wouldn’t go if it weren’t for them (group members).They are so fun and energetic and they are very motivating. It’s not about being competitive all the time but having fun and they make it worth it for me to wake up that early in the morning.”

Aside from having fun, Granger swims everyday because she wants to be in great shape and wants to stay healthy. Staying in shape is a tough task for a lot of people, but for Granger, it comes easy because she stays active.

Described as a self-motivating individual, Granger is a swimming, yoga, first aid, CPR, aerobics and a weight-training professor and she is teaching a course at Torrance Memorial Hospital on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.

As of 2008, Granger had been a assistant swimming coach for 17 years at EC.

Despite her busy lifestyle, she said it is a sense of accomplishment for her to wake up early everyday to swim knowing she had finished her work-out after a long day.

“Before I sleep at night, I think to myself that it is a great thing I worked out already,” Granger said. “When I get home from teaching, I do yardwork, clean the house and cook for my husband and I. I don’t have time during the day to work out so it is an accomplishment for me knowing that I got it out of the way.”

She not only shares her work-ethic with her team mates, but with her students as well.

“(Granger) is such a positive teacher, she is always willing to help you out,” Erin Holder, 21, cosmetology major said. “She is the best. She always has a smile on her face and always challenges you to want to do your best.”

Scott Smith, 20, who has not yet declared his major, recommends Granger as an instructor because of her enthusiasm and happy-go-lucky attitude.

Granger never gets upset at her students because of her positive attitude, Smith said.

“If you need to take a class, take (Granger),” Smith said. “She has such an enthusiastic outlook on life and never gets mad at you. Everyone respects her.”

Granger is an inspiration for women in their 50s who are struggling to stay in shape while having a busy lifestyle.

“Staying in shape during your late 40s and early 50s is tough because it is such a busy lifestyle for us,” Granger said.

Granger will be competing in the Short Course National Championships in May in Clovis, Calif.

“This May, I will compete and just try to win while not focusing too much on records,” Granger said. “Records will be broken. Maybe I might even break another record.”