Swim and dive teams preparing for Cuesta Invitational

With the Cuesta Invitational this Friday and Saturday and no women to dive, the Warrior men’s diving team is gearing up for a promising season.

While the team only has five divers this season, the Warriors are training hard for the South Coast Conference and looking forward to making the state finals.

“My expectations are high. I’m hoping to get at least three of the five [divers] to the finals,” dive coach Laurie Dawdy said.

Only eight divers from Southern California go to the state finals.

Due to the lack of sign-ups, there is no women’s dive team this season. In 2006, there was lack of sign-ups for men and women, as EC had no dive team.

“We like the females and I could use a bit more estrogen on this team,” Dawdy said.

However, the men are not without setbacks.

Freshman divers Brill Hernandez and Pedro Quinones started training only a few weeks ago, and Hernandez injured his shoulder last week.

“I’m doing everything in my power to catch them up,” Dawdy said.

The warm-ups and practices consist of rigorous muscle strengthening exercise. One of which are pike-ups, which target the abdominals.

“The abdominals are what give strength and control to the dive,” Dawdy said.

This season’s team consists mostly of freshman and includes Jose Bahena and Kelly Turner as well as Hernandez and Quinones.

“We have only one returning diver this season,” Dawdy said.

The lone returner is sophomore David Austin, who seems to be the one to watch this season, Dawdy said.

In last season’s state finals, Austin missed first place for the one-meter board by eight-tenths of a point.

“We are aiming to win the state title; it’s our goal and we’re working on together,” Dawdy said about Austin.

Austin is undefeated so far this season in diving competitions.

The weekend at Cuesta College is an event where only a select number of colleges are invited to compete.

“It’s the first time we meet our competition from Northern California,” Dawdy said.

The team’s biggest competition is conference rival Orange Coast College, where one of the divers beat Austin in last season’s state finals.

“When (Austin and Orange Coast) compete there are fireworks. They put on a good show,” previous dive coach Corey Stanbury said.

Bahena looks to have a promising season after placing fourth in his high school’s city diving championships.

Both Dawdy and the divers are confident with the team goals and expect to come out strong at least in the conference.

“We normally win conference, but my goal is state championship,” Dawdy said.

This season’s swim team consists of 13 women and 22 men.Although the Warriors have lost the two meets so far, the team remains still optimistic.

“Our goal right now is to win a meet,” freshman swimmer Taylor McGowan said.

The team has a total of 35 swimmers and few discords.

“As long as you try hard, people will generally like you, and there is a lot of trying hard going on,” returning swimmer Shon Page said.

Page competed in the 400-yard individual medley last season.

“These are a bunch of fun people,” swimming coach Corey Stanbury said.

The team mostly consists of of freshman and the Cuesta Invitational Friday and Saturday will be the fourth competition together.

“They stay in a hotel and it’s a good chance for some bonding,” Stanbury said.

“It is a real good educational competition. It’s good to see new swimmers and be in a situation where you can learn something.”

There are some swimmers who stand out with their individual goals to break school records, Stanbury said.

One particular swimmer, sophomore Andy Harmatz, hopes to break the school’s butterfly stroke record, even if it takes a beating to his body.

“(My goal) is mostly to keep me going,” Andy Harmatz said.

Stanbury acknowledged Harmatz pushed himself, even to the point of vomiting.

Backstroke swimmer Erica Shaw also has expectations in mind to break a school record or two.

Two years ago, Shaw was among the top five backstroke swimmers in California.

The swim team also consists of seven distance swimmers who are all looking to make an impact.

“I’m a strong disciplinarian,” Stanbury said.

Although the swimmers have a promising season, Stanbury make sure that everybody gets the same attention.

The team’s biggest competition is Chaffey College, which finished last season among the state’s top 15.

The hopes remain high for this season and for the sport’s development at EC.

“Everybody works really hard and delivers great results,” Stanbury said.

“Dual meets are great,” Stanbury said. “Competing in conference and state finals are our bread and butter.”