Fitness center financially unfit

Maintaining a set schedule of hours of operation for the El Camino fitness center has proven to be difficult with the budget cuts taking effect this semester.

Dr. Thomas Storer, the director of the exercise science laboratory, said that the budget cuts have “impacted” the resources available to the exercise laboratory.

The lack of funding this year has left the exercise science laboratory without the resources to hire any fitness center supervisors. Without supervision, the fitness center cannot be allowed to be used by anybody.

“The fitness center is an important function for students and faculty to have the opportunity to take care of our physical well being,” Dr. Storer said. “It is my main mission to see that the fitness center is kept open this semester.”

Currently, the only time the fitness center is available is whenever Ray Mallari, the exercise testing technician, does not have an appointment to perform a fitness test. Those times are rarely predictable, leaving it impossible to maintain a consistent set of open hours for students to routinely workout.

The best available chances for using the fitness center as of now are Monday through Wednesday between 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“It’s hard enough to get people to start working out on a regular basis, and to disrupt their workout routine makes it frustrating for people who are used to that routine,” Ray Mallari, fitness testing technician and a former fitness room supervisor, said.

It was previously thought that the department was out of funds and had no choice but to set up limited hours on a day by day basis, but a recent clerical accounting error has been discovered in favor of the department and translates to allow the fitness center to be open for about 27 hours a week.

However, the funds are unable to be accessible until mid-March, which still leaves the fitness center with random hours for at least the next two weeks. This will also be more than a 50% reduction in hours in comparing to the previous semester, which had been a solid 60 hours.

“Last semester, I used to come work out three times week before class. With the schedule as in consistent as it has been lately, I can only get in one workout a week, if that,” Zavosh Rashidi, history major, said.

With inconsistent operating hours, students are forced to find alternative places or way to exercise.

“It’s a big problem for the school as well as the students that are trying to stay healthy and do not have the money to afford a membership at a fitness club, especially in this economy,” Tony Sandoval, business major, said. “I hope they open soon with some regular hours.”