Warriors end Falcons’ playoff hopes

With seven seconds to go in the fourth quarter on the EC two-yard line, the Cerritos Falcons made their last attempt to win Saturday night at Murdock Stadium.

Cerritos decided to go for the touchdown rather than attempt a field goal, which would have forced the game into overtime. The Warrior defense made sure the Falcons did not score the touchdown as EC held on for the 35-32 win.

The Warriors (9-1, 5-1) have now secured a playoff berth and are co-champions in the National Division Central Conference with Mt. San Antonio College, which defeated EC but lost to the Cerritos Falcons (7-3, 4-2).

The Warriors will host Saddleback Saturday in the American Bowl, the playoff opener, at Murdock Stadium at 6 p.m.

“We’ve had several games (against Cerritos) where it’s come down to the last play and we’ve been fortunate enough to win most of them,” coach John Featherstone said. “It was a great goal line stand by our defense. We chose to win the game; we chose to rise up for one last play and we did.”

Lineman Kamaloni Vainikolo (four tackles) and linebacker Reuben Willis (three tackles) made the championship stop as they stuffed Falcon running back Junior Tivao. Safety Eric Taylor knew the Warriors championship and playoff hopes rested on that final play.

“We knew the season was on the line and I knew I had ten other guys that were going to give it their all,” said Taylor, who finished with 15 tackles. “I gave it my all and I felt like everybody else did and it showed.”

This will be the fifth consecutive season that the Warriors have made it into the playoffs and the fourth consecutive season they have won or split the conference championship.

“With Cerritos beating Mt. SAC, it gave us a chance to get that (championship) ring because it all seemed lost once we lost to Mt. SAC,” Wide receiver Will Bullock said. “We got another chance and took advantage and when it was all looking bleak, we could for some reason find a way to win.”

The Warriors lost their only game to Mt. SAC earlier in the season.

When Mt. SAC lost to Cerritos last weekend, it gave the Warriors the opportunity to play Cerritos and win the co-championship as well as a position in the playoffs. This gave the win over Cerritos much more significance.

At the end of the third quarter, Cerritos’ Matthew Moody intercepted a Jimmy Coy pass at the EC 35-yard line. The Falcons then took the opportunity to score when Tivao dove for the goal line at the end of the drive.

The Warriors offensive mettle was tested as well when on its last possession of the game, the Warriors made an 88-yard drive to put them up by one. Instead of going for a point after touchdown, the Warriors decided to attempt a two-point conversion.

The Warriors converted the two points, as Coy completed the pass to Dejarrius Adams.

Coy finished completing 19 of 28 passes while throwing two touchdowns and one interception as he finished with 361 yards while Adams finished with just one catch for nine yards.

“I think we all just focused and did what we were coached to do and really what we have done all season,” Coy said. “When we need to score we’ve done a pretty good job.”

The Warrior offense gained 452 yards with 91 of those yards coming on the ground, led by Andre Harries, who carried five times for 50 yards and two touchdowns.

Bullock caught six passes for 144 yards and one touchdown, while Kembrell Thompkins finished with three receptions for 72 yards and one touchdown.

“I just try to make sure I do my job and make sure I catch the ball whether it’s for the win or the first drive of the game. I’m pretty much going all balls out no matter what,” Bullock said.

The Warrior defense held Cerritos to 332 total yards. Safety Alex DeGiacomo finished with nine tackles while defensive end Daniel Stewart had eight tackles and three sacks.

“We turned it on (in this game) and made every play that we could and it ended up helping the team out a lot,” DeGiacomo said.