Women continue to defend state championship in style

With the game tied at one set each coming off a second set loss, the women’s volleyball team faced one of its biggest challenges so far this season, but was able to come together and earn a four set victory over the Mt. San Antonio College Mounties 25-9, 20-25, 25-14, 25-22.
Entering the first game, the Warriors came out strong, defeating the Mounties by a wide margin, but stumbled in the second set.
The Warriors are looking forward to their next game when they host Cerritos College tomorrow at 6 p.m.
“(Mt. SAC) was really excited to play us and I think they were really nervous in the first set because they made a lot of unforced errors,” coach LeValley Pattison said.
Despite playing well in the first set, the Warriors sputtered in the next game, mostly due to passing errors. After falling back to an early deficit in the second set, Pattison substituted Erika Kirby into the game in order to steady the passing game.
“We are lucky enough to have depth at our outside hitter position,” Pattison said. “When a player is off her game one day, it is not a problem to bring in another hitter to take her spot.”
Unfortunately, the Warriors were unable to rally back and lost the second set, but a few quick fixes before the third set seemed to work as the Warriors went on to win consecutive sets.
“We corrected our passing mistakes after the second set and that allowed our setter a few more options on who to set the ball to,” Pattison said.
Throughout the game, the Warrior offense played well, spreading the ball around effectively, allowing for a very high kill percentage against the Mounties.
The Warriors traveled to L.A City and swept the Cubs in three games25-20,25-9, 25-20 last Wednesday before hosting the Pasadena Lancers and sweeping them in three games 25-14, 25-23, 25-16 on Friday as well.
Ashley Hardy played well, having eight kills, eight digs and a season-high five blocks while Deja Dickerson added nine kills and two blocks of her own.
Leading the Warriors with kills were Amrita Tuladhar and Jo Tulikihihifo, having 13 and 14 kills respectively and adding a total of 16 digs combined.
“(Tulikihihifo) is looking really solid at the outside hitter position. At this point the job is hers to lose,” Pattison said.
The Warriors played another great overall defensive game, accumulating numerous blocks as a team.
“We needed to get a lot more blocks from our starters (Tuladhar and Dickerson), because blocking is the where our defense begins,” Pattison said.
Kiley Tamblyn and Karina Woehrstein led the team defensively and combined for 29 digs, but Sam Taylor surprised the team as she reached up and slapped down a season-high four blocks along with 12 digs during the Warrior victory over Mt. SAC.
“As long as we execute our passing game well and limit our hitting errors, we should be able to earn the victory,” Pattison said.
With just one loss this season to Pierce College, the Warriors look ahead with hopes of having tough competition to end the season to prepare for their defense of the 2007 state championship crown.
The Warriors hosted the Long Beach City Vikings yesterday, but results were unavailable.
“We are in the gym every day until 5:30 practicing for this season because we are all really committed to this team,” Amrita Tuladhar said.