Soccer teams return from road trips

Hit hard after a successful week, the men’s soccer team’s three-game road trip exposed mistakes made by the defense, resulting in a 0-2-1 road trip, 2-6-1 overall.

Going into the game Tuesday against San Bernardino Valley, EC swelled with confidence after a shutout against a team thought of as more established in Chaffey.

Friday started a three-game road trip including Glendale, Chaffey and San Bernardino Valley.

“(Glendale) deservedly went ahead 2-0, on an inopportune reckless tackle,” coach Jon Britton said.

“That lead to a free kick, because our goal keeper defended behind the wall instead of the area to which the ball was dispached,” Britton said.

Losing to Glendale 3-2, the Warriors responded to each goal except for the final one.

The defense held Glendale down at the end of the game, shutting out a clear-cut penalty kick in the final 30 seconds.

Full of resolve, EC pushed forward and scored on a raking shot by Sandoval on an assist by Juan Villalobos, Britton said.

Against Chaffey on Monday, the result was a 0-0 tie.

“The team gave a great effort, holding Chaffey scoreless for the entirety of the game,” Britton said.

Against San Bernardino Valley, EC showed the inconsistency of a young team, losing 3-1.

“Yesterday’s game was sort of a setback,” Britton said.

On the women’s side, the team roughed through a tough preseason, as the Warriors survived the three-game road trip with a 1-0-2 record.

The only shot on the goal was a penalty kick.

Against Chaffey on Monday, the women had to play short handed the remainder of the game due to a red card assigned to freshman Alicia Kolter.

This was a case of whoever swung second was the one getting the penalty. This not only hampered the team for this game, but also for the next.

Getting a red card means the penalized team gets only ten players on the field as opposed to 11. That player is also suspended for the following game.

Despite playing short-handed, the women won, a testament to how hard the Warriors have worked through this preseason, coach Jaymie Baquero said.

At San Bernardino Valley on Tuesday, the women played well, ending in a 2-2 tie.

“Last year San Bernardino Valley beat us. To tie them this year is a good step up,” Baquero said.

Surviving a tough preseason, the Warriors look poised to be successful the remainder of the season.

“It has taken longer to get used to each other. It is good that everyone has a positive attitude,” Jamie Tribble said.

“We have an all around strong team. We should make the playoffs this season,” Tribble said.

“The team looks good. We have a few nagging injuries, but are excited to start conference,” Baquero said.

“The last three games in a row, our women played through and did not give up,” Baquero said.