Women continue to play strong despite loss of Greene

Players on the women’s water polo team felt the loss of their goalie Jordyn Greene the past few games, but they are not letting up.

With a record of two and one, the season is far from over.

The women played L.A. Valley twice September 11 and in the EC Tournament September 13 along with Rio Hondo. Yesterday they played Cerritos.

The Warriors lost to L.A. Valley twice and beat Rio Hondo. LA Valley has proven to be a contender this season as compared to last season when EC beat them five times.

“They’re so overpoweringly better than we are,” Corey Stanbury, water polo coach, said. “Probably the biggest difference is that we don’t have very much experience in the goal keeping which is kind of a crucial position. We lost our first team, all-conference goalie from last year to academics.”

Greene was a valuable asset to the team but her replacement, Erin Holder, a freshman who was previously a field player, is steadily improving. Holder saved seven goals in the second game with L.A. Valley,

EC was beaten in their first game against L.A. Valley, 18-2. Going into the second game with L.A. Valley, the Warriors were doomed to by the same mistakes and lost 15-4.

“They basically got a team that’s probably good enough to be in the playoffs this next year,” Stanbury said. “They might be ranked in the top ten of the state maybe.”

Four or five players left Pasadena to play for L.A. Valley which explains the talent gap between L.A. Valley last season and this season.

“A couple of the girls are pretty tall and strong but they’re not monsters. They know what they’re doing–they’re fast and they have hard shots,” Erica Shaw, field player, said.

EC players were surprised by L.A. Valley’s vast improvement.

“It’s hard because you never know which girls they lose and who they’re going to gain,” Katie Sloss said.

Coach Stanbury is expecting the worst from Cerritos.

“It might not be pretty,” Stanbury said.