Warriors slug Lancers around

Going into the season, softball coach Susie Calderon knew infielder Kayla Sax was an asset on defense.

As the season progressed, Sax became an asset to the Warriors on both sides of the ball.

“Kayla was hitting a lot of pop-ups when the season began,” Calderon said. “She turned it around suddenly and has made huge contributions in our wins. She knew what she had to do.”

Against Pasadena City College last Tuesday, Sax hit a triple and was solid on defense, helping the Warriors defeat the Lancers 12-2 in 5 innings.

The final regular season game on the schedule was Cypress College, who had a record of 41-1 going into the game against the Warriors last Thursday.

“I am kind of glad we are finishing the season off against Cypress,” Calderon said. “Anything can happen. The way we are playing, you never know what is going to happen.”

Regardless of Cypress’ record, the members of the team said they felt confident that if they continue to play how they have been playing, they will emerge victorious, however, some of the Warriors are aware that the game will be tough.

Game scores and stats against Cypress were not available at the time the Union went to press.

“I think we can handle Cypress,” Sax said. “If we don’t have our hitting and pitching going for us, it will be tough.”

Against Pasadena City, pitcher Brittany Garland allowed two first-inning runs before settling down, as the Warriors proceeded to pound the Lancers, forcing the game to end early due to the mercy rule.

However, Garland did not take the credit for the win.

Sophomore pitcher Ginger Martinez, who played the third base position against the Lancers, also aided the Warriors’ cause by hitting a homerun and driving in two runs.

“We played very well. Everyone was getting solid hits,” Garland said. “Ginger Martinez played solid at third base. It was an all around solid game.”

With state playoffs looming, many of the members of the Warriors said that they feel positive that they have done what they must to secure a playoff birth.

Calderon is hopeful that the team can get an at-large bid for the post season.

“It is not a long shot. Our team had a great season,” Calderon said. “It is not unlike a fourth place team in the South Coast Conference to make the playoffs.”

Garland, who has recorded 52 strikeouts in 153.2 innings, said she is confident that she can do what she needs to against Cypress to help her team to victory, and earn a playoff spot.

“If you put me up against any hitter in the state, I feel confident that I can shut her down,” Garland said.