Softball team overpowers Barstow, sweeps double header

Despite uncomfortable weather conditions, EC’s women’s softball team gritted through tough winds, sweeping a doubleheader against Barstow, 17-0 and 9-0, Saturday in Barstow. Both games were called early due to the mercy rule.

The women will face East Los Angeles today at 3 p.m. at Freeman Park.

“It was extremely windy, but Barstow was affected more than we were,” coach Susie Calderon said. “A fly ball to right field would turn into an infield popup.”

The wind was extremely tough on the pitching staff.

“We had to change our game plan with the wind,” freshman pitcher Brittany Garland said. “We couldn’t throw inside because it would hit the batter, so we had to throw outside. Even then, the ball would still wind up as an inside pitch.”

While the weather conditions were not ideal for a softball game, the women were able to put Barstow away early.

Calderon decided to utilize her entire bench, using three pitchers and getting every member of the team a chance to play during the double header.

“There isn’t a big drop-off going from the starters to the bench,” Calderon said. “I felt like our entire team needed a boost after four straight losses.”

The women have held practices and home games at Alondra Park due to ongoing construction projects taking place at EC.

That will all change today, as the softball team relocates all home games to George H. Freeman Park, located on 154th Place just east of Van Ness Avenue in Gardena.

“Freeman Park is more of a softball field,” Calderon said. “I would like to have the team practice and play here, but beggars can’t be choosers.”

Moving to Freeman Park will give the team a less damaged outfield, but they will no longer have the proximity offered by Alondra Park.

“Alondra Park had the best infield at the time, and was more accessible (being closer to EC),” Calderon said. “But the outfield was horrible. It doesn’t matter where we play, a field is not going to make a team better.”

Calderon was not alone in her mind set about the field conditions, as members of the softball team voiced their opinion as well.

“The outfield is better (at Freeman), but the infield has a lot of holes and dips,” sophomore pitcher Ginger Martinez said. “(Alondra) had a lot of holes in the outfield, and the infield was better than (Freeman’s).

The players are overall in agreement with the reasons why they believe it’s better to have their games at one park as opposed to the other.

“I like (Freeman Park) more,” Garland said. “The pitching mound is non-existent, and the infield has hills, but hopefully it gets fixed before our game (today).”

The prior meeting between EC and East L.A. was called due to time after a 6-6 tie. The game will resume when the Warriors’ travel to East L.A. April 1, and the game will begin in the top of the 12th inning.

During the first game against Barstow, Garland started the pitching rotation, performing for two strong innings and allowing only two hits while striking out four batters, before giving way to Amber Angel.

“Last season, (Ginger) Martinez and (Amber) Angel shouldered most of the pitching,” Calderon said. “This season, with (Brittany) Garland and Martinez, I haven’t used had to use Angel as much as I would have liked.”

Despite not putting her in the rotation, Calderon is aware of the quality pitcher the team has in Angel.

“Her release is so deceiving because of her wind-up,” Calderon said. “It is harder for opposing hitters to pick the ball up out of her hand.”

Angel pitched during the final three innings of game one, not allowing a hit and striking out three batters.

During the second game of the doubleheader, Martinez pitched all five innings, striking out eight while only allowing one hit from the Vikings.

“Even though Barstow wasn’t that strong of a team, I have confidence in my defense,” Garland said. “I know I can pitch my game and they will have my back.”