Rain postpones both tennis teams’ matches

Similar standings in conference are the situation the men’s and women’s tennis teams are in, yet both are working toward a common goal: a championship.

The consistently strong women’s team (8-2, 4-1) is on a roll and its latest opponent didn’t have the chance to experience complete defeat for the second time this season.

In a conference rematch against the Long Beach City College Vikings, the Warriors got off to a quick start and were only slowed by wet conditions, postponing the match to a later date.

“We can definitely win this match,” Adam Von Arx, assistant coach, said. “We switched the lineup a little bit just to get different people in there.”

The team was up in its doubles matches, 2-1, 5-0 and 4-0, with strong play coming from Kim Espiritu and new faces getting vital experience as it prepares to avenge its only conference loss against the Cerritos Falcons Tuesday.

On the other hand, the men’s tennis team (6-2, 4-1) is in the same predicament, but has a twist as it goes into the heart of its schedule with hopes of winning at least a share of the conference title.

Victor Nutt and Chris Daniels are no longer on the Warrior’s roster because both have become academically ineligible, leaving the team with five players, one short of collegiate standards.

Despite these unfortunate circumstances, the team will not be forced to forfeit its matches, but will be a man down, a fact that will not hinder the team mentally in the coming weeks.

“They pretty much think ‘what else can happen because we lost two players and what else could go wrong,'” Steve Van Kanegan, coach, said, in reference to the team’s morale following the loss of two teammates.

As a result, the Warriors will head into the remaining matches on their schedule a man short and down 2-0 with the winning team scoring five points out of the possible nine.

With the tough matches as close as they are in the South Coast Conference, this is an added degree of difficulty to a team that is on the verge of having the best finish in Kanegan’s seven-year tenure.

“We are hoping this will inspire a higher level of play individually,” Kanegan said. “If everyone picks it up a notch, it is very possible to win our last three matches.”

The first test for the new-look Warriors was the Vikings on Tuesday, but play was suspended due to rain and will be continued at a later date.

The Warriors were in complete control of the match, winning the only three games played, leaving the day ahead 3-2, until the rain delay postponed the match.

The team now awaits the rematch with the Marymount Mariners today at 2 p.m., if weather permits.

The Warriors handled the Mariners in their previous meeting 7-2, but the tables have turned, for the team was at full strength for that contest, but look to continue its short stint with the new man-short roster in the rematch.

“Marymount is weak at the bottom half of its roster and the probable two points we would have won are now impossible,” Kanegan said. “We now have a smaller margin of error.”

Following the contest with the Mariners, the team will look to avenge its only conference loss with the tough first-place Falcons Tuesday at 2 p.m., once again, a man short.

“I don’t think they could play any better than they did and we could have played a lot better,” Von Arx said about the previous 7-2 loss against the Falcons. “It will be tough but I think we can pull it out.”

Knowing that it will be a dogfight when these two teams meet next week, the two coaches both agree on what the keys to success will be.

“We need to win both of our doubles matches and play at our peak level to have a chance,” Kanegan said.

“We definitely have to be more competitive in doubles,” Von Arx said.

The loss of the two teammates will be more evident than ever when the Warriors face the Falcons and look to an unusual face for a big performance on a grand stage.

Cliff Breakfield has sat behind his starting six teammates this season and will look to show why he belongs on this team and that he can contribute to the success of the group.

“We are expecting a lot out of Cliff,” Kanegan said. “His opponents will be more experienced because of the number of matches they have played and there is almost no margin for error.”