Tennis team loses in conference game

Intensity during the matches wasn’t enough for the women’s tennis team not to lose its first conference match of the year against Cerritos Thursday.

EC lost 7-2 to what has been its toughest opponent this season.

The Warriors will host Mt. SAC today at 2 p.m. prior to its bye week before resuming conference play.

“I understand Mt. SAC is a very strong team so we certainly are not going to take them lightly,” coach Steve Van Kanegan said.

Against the Falcons, EC had many close matches, but fell short in the end, failing to put out their opponents when they needed to.

“We got beat; they’re a good team,” team member Michele McGary said. “The score was 7-2 but it easily could have gone the other way.”

Cerritos was last years conference champions and has of late become to be considered a powerhouse.

“They were a very strong team,” Van Kanegan said.”They won a couple of close matches that could have gone either way.”

The women are taking the loss with a grain of salt and are anxious to face the Falcons again.

“I look forward to playing them again,” McGary said.

“I’m looking forward to revenge,” Avetta Nettles said. “We just need to step our game up next time.”

With the loss to Cerritos, the Warriors are obligated to win every match to tie for first place in the conference.

Also, the team must rely on teams who are in a better position its are to lose.

“Cerritos is now the team to beat because they beat both Mt. SAC and us,” Kanegan said.