Women’s basketball team will face No. 1 seed Pasadena in finals

After one game, two teams become acquainted; the second meeting brings about a more in-depth understanding; if a third contest occurs, they practically know the opponent’s strengths, weaknesses and strategies.

This is the case for the women’s basketball team as it prepares for a third meeting with the Pasadena City Lancers in the Southern Regional Finals at Pasadena Saturday at 7 p.m.

The Warriors lost the first head-to-head game and in their more recent meeting on Jan. 5, the Warriors lost to the state’s No. 1 team, 57-47.

“When we first played them (Pasadena), we weren’t playing our game; but playing everyone else’s game and we lost by a lot,” point guard Staci Kaneshiro said. “In our second game, we were playing more of our game and we only lost by ten.”

The Lancers have been the No. 1 team in the state for the entire season and is fitting that they are the No. 1 seed in the state playoff tournament.

Through the regular season, the Lancers (25-1) averaged 82 points per game in route to their conference championship and No. 1 seeding.

However, the Warriors (20-7, 7-1) said they believe they can counter an offensive juggernaut with a stingy defense that gave up a mere 51 points per game.

“The key to this game is whichever team can play better to their strengths,” coach Steve Shaw said.

Despite their season-long dominance, the Lancers showed some vulnerability in their most recent game.

“We saw them play on Saturday and they didn’t do well,” Kaneshiro said. “It gives us hope.”

The Warriors reached the finals by earning the South Coast Conference co-championship and then defeating the Ventura Pirates last Friday in the first round of the playoffs.

The winning of the conference championship marked the first team in college history that that feat had been accomplished.

The team has meet the expectations that Shaw had for the season.

“We really thought we would compete for conference championship this season,” Shaw said.

“It’s good and a big accomplishment for us and our coach,” Kaneshiro said.

A 25-point differential in the final score of a basketball game results from a strong team effort, as was the case in the 69-43 routing of the Pirates.

“We played outstanding and it was probably our best team outing,” Shaw said.

Three of the Warrior women Chloe Grinn, Taway Whiting and Mallory Ellis, had standout performances to help pace the team to its first playoff win.

Grinn grinded out 20 points; Whiting was solid with 16 points; 8 rebounds, and 4 assists, and Ellis dominated with a double-double performance with 15 points and 13 rebounds.

“We came out strong and everybody played really well,” Kaneshiro said. “We played well on the defensive end and held them to under fifty points which is always good.”

The Warriors have been playing together for the last 27 games and are continuing to improve in their quest for a state championship.

It’s rare when a team defeats another team in competition three consecutive times in the same season.

“We are now playing our best games of the year,” Kaneshiro said. “Our offense is doing well and our defense is solid.”