Searching for lucky No. 7

With its sixth win under its belt, the women’s tennis team has a strong chance to take first place in the conference.

Winning every singles and doubles match against Marymount Tuesday, the team made assistant coach Adam von Arx hopeful about winning the conference.

“Hopefully, the women will manage to win the league; I guess the only team that might challenge them is Cerritos,” von Arx said.

EC tavel to Cerritos College today at 2 p.m. in what has always been a complicated game for the team.

Marymount, however, has not been one of the Warriors’ strongest competitors.

As the game began turning out in EC’s favor, it was evident that Marymount was struggling to stay in the match.

“We need a lot of work,” Marymount coach Yenni Henson said.

Improvement is what the Warriors are hoping to obtain with the passing of each game.

“I definitely think that they we’re going to be better with a little bit more experience,” Michelle Morse said.

The team has shown many strengths and few weaknesses during its winning streak.

Not showing their weaknesses is something difficult for players, considering the high level of competition that is part of the South Coast Conference.

“I think that we have very strong opponents in our conference,” Morse said. “This particular opponent is definitely not one of the top teams we have played against.”

However, easy games aren’t what players seek and they impatiently await tough matches.

“I feel like I need to be challenged more,” sophomore Avetta Nettles said.

The Warriors await their game against Cerritos with a sense of mixed emotions.

“Nervous, scared, and exited is how I put it,” sophomore Brianna Dalo said.

The Falcons will try to end EC’s undefeated streak and remind them that it was Cerritos who kept the Warriors from taking first place.

“Cerritos is going to be pretty tough. I mean they have a solid team over there and we have to be ready for that,” Kimberly Espiritu said. “It’s going to be a tough challenge.”

Cerritos beat EC last year and the Warriors are looking forward to settling the debt.

“Last year, it came down to between us and Cerritos and, it came down to only two matches,” Michele McGary said. “We ended up taking second and they took first.”

As close as the game last year was, the Warriors said they are looking forward to making it to the playoffs this year and taking back their league title.

“I’m overjoyed because I played last year and we didn’t quite make it,” Nettles said. “This year, I’m really looking forward to taking it all the way.”

We have a very strong team and all of our players are very strong,” Nettles said.

“Hopefully, this will be the year that the women win the league,” vo Arx said.