Terrorist’s death brings human decency into question

Osama bin Laden is dead! Or at least this is what our president said in a short speech he gave to Americans confirming that bin Laden had been killed.

And now everybody is wondering whether his death is real or not, although the president said it was real.

Americans want to know why he was buried at sea and why the U.S. refused to show proof of his death.

To many, this means that he is not dead, or that he had been dead and the U.S. is only taking credit to gain popularity amongst its citizens, in a way to make citizens feel that what happened on 9/11 was finally being avenged.

Even if it’s a Muslim tradition to bury people within 24 hours, people want to see it to believe it. They want proofs, a picture,  a video, or something that can give them the comfort of saying yes, bin Laden is dead.

But in today’s world, that can’t really prove anything. A picture can be easily edited and a video can be misleading.

Maybe to some, any of those, as  gruesome as they may be, could be the only proof they need to feel safe.

However, to many others it will only be a satisfaction.

When the news of his death came out, it took over the front pages of magazines, newspapers and was all over the TV, spreading throughout the world, which is not surprising because he was one the most recognized figures on Earth.

Soon, crowds all over the world took over the streets to celebrate his death.

It was as if for a moment they had forgotten that he was also a human being. He was also a person who had a family, who are now lost in their own misery.

It’s hard to forget that he was behind 9/11, but is the celebration really necessary?

Can we really say that we are better than him when we celebrate a human death?

Showing a picture of his body covered in his own blood can be disrespectful and it can also feed the anger people have for violence.

At least when it comes to me, seeing a picture of a dead body will only make me feel bad.

I can still remember a day when I was in the back seat of my uncle’s car. It was my sister, two of my cousins and me. We were coming home after driving four hours from a place I can hardly recall.

Traffic was horrible, and my uncle was really upset and tired.  I was wondering what  happened because I could see bright lights flashing, and there were a lot of cops around the area. And then, we finally got to a point where two cars had crashed.

And there it was, the body of a person lying down on the grass next to the road and the broken pieces of glass, it was covered from head to toe with a white sheet.

I had no idea who that was, but it didn’t matter. Whether it was a man or a woman, a teenager, or if it had been his or her fault, or whether he had killed someone before or not, seeing a lifeless body made my heart quiver.

For days, I couldn’t take that image out of  my head and I wondered what his or her  family was like, what they were doing or what they were going to do now.

Bin Laden is different. Yes, he killed many people and it was wrong. But he is a human being and I can’t be happy for his death. It was probably the best thing for the world, but I can’t help it to feel sorry for him.

I can imagine what his family feels right now and how horrible it would be to see a picture of your son or father after being murdered and to know that people are happy about it.

Seeing a picture or a video of his death could mean the world to many people, but not to me.