El Camino Day helps students prepare for the fall 2018 semester

New faces filled the East Dining Room on Saturday, March 10 as El Camino College hosted the New Student Orientation for future students.

“For a lot of students, they don’t know where to start,” Student Services specialist Veronica Palafox said. “El Camino has everything they need to get started.”

During the orientation, students were shown how to access their financial aid, register for classes and how to use their myECC email.

“We have more resources available at these events rather than if (students) try to apply on (their) own,” James Sabrino, EC student ambassador, said.

Counselors met with future students to help them decide what classes to take for their first semester at EC for the fall 2018 semester.

“We offer students orientation, testing and counseling services. Our resource fair includes extended opportunities, programs, services, first-year experience and mathematics engineering science achievement,” Sabrino said.

Sabrino said students usually have trouble “remembering their login, finding their I.D. number, reading the online system and making sure their classes fit their schedule.”

After the orientation, students were able to take an English and a math placement test. They could also meet with a counselor to go over their scores and decide what classes best met their academic needs.

“Students do better at English because it is more straight forward, but math is more confusing,” Sabrino said. The goal is for students to take transferable English and math courses.

Counselors are on sight at the orientation to ensure students are informed about graduation and transfer requirements.

As the orientation came to a close, counselors wished students the best of luck for their first semester at EC.

“On a Saturday, we had a good turnout. All the students and counselors completed their steps for enrollment and are ready for the fall 2018 semester.” outreach professional Wendy Rodriguez said.

Students wishing to apply to EC for the fall 2018 semester should do the following:

• Apply online.
  • Take a math and an English placement test.
  • Participate in an online orientation.
  • Meet with an academic counselor.