Annual event allows talent to shine

The Fine Arts Open House will be staged for viewing on Friday, April 24, from 5 to 8 p.m.

The open house will showcase pieces from all divisions within the Fine Arts Division such as: music, film, communication studies, art, photography, dance and theatre.

The open house, which is run by the Dean of Fine Arts Constance Fitzsimons, is produced by both students and faculty. Faculty members have been chosen to lead each department for the open house and they are the ones who choose students within their division to appeal to the public with their work.

The purpose of the open house is not only for students to show their work but it is also to show future students what the Fine Arts Division at El Camino College offers.

“Primarily the intent was to look at high school outreach,” Fitzsimons said. “The next group of students coming in are them and what we want to let them know and see, is about our facilities, our program and faculty and our pathways to a degree.”.

Previously the open house was only for art section students; however this year Fitzsimons decided to expand the open house and allow all seven departments, within Fine Arts, to participate, Fitzsimons said.

Each student that is chosen by the head of each section is ranged with different levels of professionalism. Each department has a mixture of levels with the students, some students have been at El Camino for two years and some students would be in their first semester.

The open house’s Music Department head, Patrick Shulz, is a music professor who chose students based on having a mix of talent.

“I will have performers from all different types of levels,” Schulz said. “Most of the students performing have been here for a while but I will have some beginning students too.”

The music department will be having two scheduled performances. One will be in Music Building, Room 134 and the second will at the Haag Recital Hall.

In room 134, performances will happened from 5 to 7:30 p.m. The very first performance int his room will be the saxophone quintet, followed by an opera workshop and finally, a brass sextet, Shulz said.

In the Haag Recital Hall, performances will also happen from 5 to 7 p.m. Shulz added.

To those that attend the open house will also be serving snacks and will have raffles on the night.

“There will be free food, coffee and cookies,” Fitzsimons said.”We want to try and make it a fun event.”