HIV testing to keep you and others safe

Free HIV testing will be taking place on El Camino College in front of the Health Center on Tuesday, March 24.

An innovative and quick way to test positive or negative for HIV is coming to the campus, it’s called the OraQUick.

“The OraQuick method of HIV testing was founded by Cynthia Davis and has been around for 20 years. Representatives have been going to different colleges trying to encourage students to get tested for the last 8 years,” Albert Washington, Transfer Center employee, said.

“OraQuick is done by collecting fluids in the mouth and does not include any needles”, Maria Quintana, Transfer Center counselor, said.

Even though the test does not require any needles; if your first test is positive, the counselor will prick your finger for a second test just to be safe, as it could be a false positive. The second test will take a couple of days for the student to receive their result.

The procedure is done by a counselor in the HIV testing truck. Each student’s results and testing is very confidential and behind a closed door. The counselor will start off by asking a couple of questions followed by explaining the procedure of OraQuick and what it is.

“The counselor was very clear when explaining about OraQuick and was open to answer any questions that I asked,” Natalie Simba, 19, architecture major, said.

“The test is done by rubbing a cotton swab against your gums around your mouth. Each cotton swab is opened in front of the student by the counselor,” Quintana, said.

She added, “Once that is done, the counselor will remove the cotton swab from your mouth and put it in a solution for 20 minutes.”

After the 20 minutes, students will get their results. The counselor will ask the student if they have any questions for them. Each result is given to the student in an envelope.

“The HIV test is beneficial to everyone, however mostly females make the effort of getting tested,” Washington said.

“Not many male students have come to get tested, however the ones that did come, came with their partners, which is good,” Quintana said.

Not many students knew about the HIV testing on campus.

“I had no idea about the testing, I hope that the people that go to it went to be safe,” Jessica Silva, 23, English major, said.

“I did not know about the HIV testing, I would not have gone even if knew, but I do think that they should have advertised it more so students do know about it,” Lionel Taplin, 23, dance major, said.