Class participation uncomfortable for students

After lecturing for about an hour, he turns to his students, scans the room and asks for someone to elaborate on what he said.

Class Participation could possibly be on of the greatest fear factors for college students.

Participating in class could lead to major embarrassment or either a better understanding of the class subject.

However, risking the worst outcome could potentially keep students from ever participating in classroom discussions and some instructors even make class participation as part of their grades.

“They [students] don’t want to feel stupid or ostracized,” Rose Gladson, 26, Communication major, said.

Some students hesitate to participate in class discussions because they are afraid of becoming the class nerd or better yet, a “know-it-all.”

“Sometimes, I’ll know answers to questions but I don’t want to answer and then everyone in class will assume I know every answer and be i’ll like the class nerd,” Aaron Brown, 19, undecided major, said.

While the students are afraid of class participation, teachers have to find solutions for students to engage inside the classroom.

“We’ll have some class activities where everyone is participating so they’re not in the spotlight,” Tanja Carter, economics professor, said.

Instructors also relate to the fear students carry and try not to force them to participate.

“When I was a student, I was terrified to speak in class so I don’t try to force participation in my class,” Carter said.

But in order to get over the fear of participation, some teachers encourage students to partake in class activities by creating a safe environment that will help the student to become comfortable participating.

“Somehow it’s our job as instructors to make the atmosphere feel safe and comfortable like there is no bad question,” Susan Taylor, mathematics professor, said.

Instructors will also use particular tactics to encourage students to contribute.

Using a math autobiography assignment where in the beginning of the semester students wrote freely about their feelings on the subject, it allowed more students to communicate with each other when they were able to voice their similar feelings on the topic, Taylor said.

Some students however, will always struggle with the fear of participating in classroom activities.

“It all comes down to earning trust,” Gladson said. “Then I’ll ask more questions.”