El Camino to host Holocaust Remembrance Day

EC will be hosting Holocaust Remembrance Day, a two-program event dedicated to remembering Holocaust Victims on Thursday, April 4 from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., two days before the national holiday.

“There is a national day of recognition (which is) on April 8,” Ed Martinez, Public Access Librarian, said. “Congress had made that the national day of recognition or remembrance of the holocaust, but since it is on the first day of spring break I couldn’t do that (the event) then.”

Coordinating the event, Martinez, has sent emails to faculty and staff, asking for volunteers for the first program, which is the reading of 5000 names of holocaust victims. Martinez adds, each volunteer will be allotted fifteen-minute slots for the readings.

Preceding the reading, guest speakers Kimberley Brown (granddaughter of Eva Brown), Rolf Gompertz and Roger Kauffman will share words.

Among those volunteering for the reading of victim’s names is Lisa George, Library Media Technician. She hopes to plant awareness and bring understanding of genocide to students.

“This Holocaust is unfortunately not unique, not the only event of it’s kind,’ George said. “Remembering history and understanding history so that we don’t repeat the worst parts of it is important and events like this are one way to do that.”

Another volunteering for the reading is Katie Gleason, Foundation Executive Director, who said she is participating in the event in the remembrance of Eva Brown, a holocaust survivor whom the college has dedicated The Eva Brown Peace and Tolerance Educational Center to.

“I feel it us an important event in our history to be remembered,” Gleason stated. “I hope to remind everyone including myself that something like this doesn’t happen again.”

Martinez said, this event might be the first time that an entire program is dedicated to the holocaust and to Eva Brown.

“It’s something that I wanted to do before I retire from El Camino,” Martinez shared. “One of the last things I wanted to do is in memory of Eva Brown, who did so much for the campus, I wanted to have one final program for her.”

Martinez also revealed that the majority of those volunteering for the event is faculty. He encourages students to take part in the event as well.

“We have a few gaps in our schedule if any other students would like to join us,” Martinez said.

Available times slots for reading program:

9:45 a.m. to 10 a.m.

11:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

12:15 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.

12:30 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.