Forensics team wins state championship

For many, March 14 marks the beginning of a series of innocuous holidays. From Pi Day for math lovers, to St. Patrick’s Day for those majoring in festivities with a minor in hangovers.

For students of EC’s Speech and Debate team, however, it marked something radically different: opening day of their four-day battle at the Woodland Hills Marriot to be the best in the state.

When the tournament ended, EC stood at the top; boasting first in overall placement; the top speaker of the entire state, Jonny Deatherage, 24, political science major, and an array of medals.

“The air of the tournament is very strenuous. You’re locked away in a hotel for four days,” Deatherage, said. “You become exhausted, your nerves are all over the place, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else.”

EC didn’t breeze through the state tournament, however.

It faced a total of 31 other schools, from trying rivals to unpredictable newcomers.

“There’s a team at Irvine Valley College whom we’ve developed a rivalry with,” Deatherage said. “They’re our top competitors in the league, so we’re always battling for first or second.”

The team attributed it’s success to many hours of preperation.

“We don’t just go to practice, and then it ends,” Harrison Shieh, president of the team, 20, math and economics major said. “You go home, and whether it’s a function of watching the news, or learning from other debaters,  you’re always learning background on info you need to know about.”