Blind photographer to share his story with students

Being a photographer can be but a dream for some people, but for Kurt Weston, a legally blind photographer, it is his reality, a reality he will share with students on campus.

On Wednesday, March 27, Weston will be a guest artist for a photography master class. The class will start at 4:30 p.m. and will take place in Art-103 on the ground floor of the Art Building. Students as well faculty and staff can attend this class.

“It’s intended for beginning to advance photography students,” Darilyn Rowan, photography professor, said. “His story is so unique and inspiring that we wanted to open it up to faculty, staff and students across campus.”

This isn’t the first time that Weston has been a guest and he has enjoyed talking to students about photography and sharing the insights of his passion.

“I really enjoy speaking to the El Camino students about my passion in life which is photography,” Weston said. “To share my knowledge so the students can take something away from it and hopefully benefit from it.”

The master class with Weston is part of a program from The Center for the Arts.

“I would especially like to thank Bruce Spain, who is director for the Center for the Arts for this presentation,” Rowan said.

People who attend the class will be introduced to an in depth discussion, a presentation, and possible live demonstration, all involving the photographic works of Weston.

“He always does a demo of how he makes the photographs,” Rowan said.”Students get to see how he makes the images which I think is usually helpful to them.”

Overcoming obstacles and challenges makes Weston an inspiration to not only photographers but for anyone who is in pursuit of their own dreams. The hope for this event is that students and anyone will take away the sense of following their goals in life no matter what obstacles there might be.

“I do believe if people follow their life dreams and follow their passion they’ll be ultimately be successful,” Weston said. “It will be to their benefit to be involved in something they enjoy doing.”

Rowan added that she hopes her students are inspired about their future through this event.

“I hope his story and experience will be a helpful memory for students when they feel discouraged in pursuit of their goals,” Rowan added.

Though his story is compelling on its own, his work as a photographer extends his expressions into an amazing artistic medium. His artwork can be seen at kurtweston.com

“Kurt’s photographs movingly illuminate and reveal issues of mortality and a search for peace and serenity,” Rowan said. “His work is haunting, beautiful and exquisite.”