Schauerman Library finds balance between textbooks and e-books

It is a new day and age where technology is constantly evolving. Cellular devices can have conversation with humans, some cars are running on electric and books are in the form of handheld devices.

And for the Schauerman Library staff, they have now comprised with the new book technology that comes in the form of computers, iPads, Kindle, Nooks and the growing collection of e-books.

“The library has found a balance by purchasing numerous books for e-book access and still have paper books available for EC students,” Alice Grigsby, Library Resources Learning Director, said.

Although the Schauerman Library has e-book availability, the library still has a purpose.

“The advantage that the library still provides, is that there are trained librarians to help students narrow down [research],” Grigsby said.

Being able to limit methods that will help you narrow down your results to a practical amount is the reason why librarians are valuable, Grigsby said.

Even with competition of growing technology the abundance of students have remained steady.

“So far we haven’t seen any slow down or a dramatic change as far as the use of textbooks oppose to in the past when the technology wasn’t here,” Ed Martinez Public Access Librarian, said.

Even before the creation of e-books, EC had adapted an electronic program called E-Res to access EC books on reserve, Martinez said.

The evolution of the online reading is inevitable but having a campus library is always necessary.

“If nothing else the library has provided space in which people could discuss and exchange information,” Martinez said.

For the future of the EC library there it will always remain necessary for its technology resources and textbooks access.

“There will always be that group of people who like turning the page,” Grigsby said.