SSTARS to celebrate 10 years of transfer and retention services

It’s that time of the year again, the Student Services Transfer and Retention Services (SSTARS) is hosting their annual breakfast banquet fundraiser ‘Galaxy of the Stars.’

SSTARS will also be celebrating their 10-year anniversary tomorrow in the East Dinning Room.

“Tickets are available for El Camino students and the community at large,” Clara Weston, Co-Chair of SSTARS Committee said.

Weston added that the fundraiser aims to raise money that will go toward grants of up to $300-500, which are awarded to students during the spring semester.

“We have raised up to  $7,000,” Weston said.

She also mentioned that funds raised not only finance grants for students, but also the ECC Library Book Depot, scholarships and books for the Human Development classes.

Honors Transfer Program member Katherine Fleming, 21, English major, revealed she was unaware of the annual breakfast banquet fundraiser. She conveyed her appreciation for the help she has received from the SSTARS program.

“Taking honors classes that are required has been good because it’s great to be with other people who are serious about transferring,” Fleming said.

Weston disclosed that administration buy and donate tickets to the SSTARS programs. Donated tickets are available for students actively utilizing the services provided by the program.

“Usually when students ask (for tickets) it’s (based on) first come first serve,” Weston said. “We would like each of the programs to donate a ticket so that there is a student representing their program.”

Weston also shared that student ambassadors will be volunteering as ushers and servers at the event as they have last year.

Cost of admission to the annual breakfast banquet fundraiser s $35 for one ticket.