Waiting to hear back from universities causes big stress for students

It’s that time of the year where students eagerly awaiting to hear back from the university of their choice as they  check their emails and mailboxes multiple times a day, all in hopes of reading the words “Congratulations, you’re admitted!”

Students from all walks of life may have different college experiences, but the common ground they share is the stress of eagerly awaiting to hear back from their top universities choices.

“I’m waiting to hear from two universities, it can be nerve wrecking,” Richard Alvarez, 28, economics major said. “You think about everything you could have done better.”

The fear of being rejected tends to weigh heavily on some students even when they have applied for multiple Universities.

“Still waiting to hear from my top choices. It’s been really stressful; I’m so worried about getting rejected,” Esther Diaz, 24, marketing major, said.

“It’s really stressful waiting, I applied to 3 UC’s and got rejected by 1 so I’m really nervous about getting rejected again,” Gloria Rojas, 29, philosophy major said.

Where some students feel fear from being rejected from their University choices other students feel a sense of relief when they are accepted.

“Waiting is the worse, so many things go through your head,” Christian Donovan, 23, business major, said. “Luckily, I got accepted into a UC.”

Whether it’s stressful for most students or just a slight annoyance, many should know that there is a sense of relief they can seek here on campus.

The Student Health Center has a few options for students who are having trouble waiting for acceptance letters or have been rejected. Free workshops for managing anxiety are available for sign-ups. The managing anxiety workshops are on Thursdays Feb. 28 at noon and May 9 at 1 p.m. and on Mondays May 6 at 2 p.m.

Students can also schedule one on one appointments with a psychologist for any additional counseling dealing with their stress or anxiety.

“I didn’t know they had workshops for that, but it’s probably helpful to those who can’t handle the stress,” Donovan said.