Measure E’s energy efficiency improvements could save up to $1 million

Local facility bond Measure E, which is designed to create a “greener” and more efficient version of EC, will be a major item on the ballot this November.

In 2002, voters of the El Camino Community College district passed a facilities bond, enabling the construction of new buildings and remodeling that is seen now on campus. While the money from the 2002 bond is almost gone, Measure E hopes to continue the work set in motion by the earlier bond.

“The people in the district will be giving money directly for the infrastructure of the college. You can see the infrastructure benefitting in the new building, the plumbing and the repairs.” Ken Brown, board of trustees member, said.

One major limitation of the bill is that the funds gained will not be usable for employee salaries or retirement funds. Instead the money will only be used for facilities, equipment and improvements to the physical well being of the campus, Bill Beverly, board of trustees president, said

However, despite that limitation, the bill is extremely important to the campus’s future, Beverly said.

“Measure E extends our bond. We know that specific money is 100 percent guaranteed to go into our campus. That money can only be used for specified capital purposes, but at least it goes directly into our campus,” Beverly said.

While that means the money won’t be usable as a means to increase the current number of courses at El Camino, the money saved by making improvements to the campus could quickly build to a substantial figure.

“Right now because of the facilities that have been completed to date from the 2002 measure, we have saved $100,000 in energy costs at El Camino. When we finish the projects from the 2002 bond measure, the college will save $360,000 in energy costs,” Ann Garten, community relations director, said.

If Measure E passes and all projects are completed, not only will the college save nearly $1 million in annual energy costs, but also the college’s carbon footprint will be reduced greatly, Garten added.

“The residents who are voting on Measure E, will pay a certain portion in their property tax bill. Right now from the 2002 bond, people pay $16.88 per $100,000 of assessed value of their home (not market value). With the passage of Measure E this November, the property tax would increase by only $7 more per $100,000 of assessed value of their property,” Garten said.

Only those who live within the El Camino district (Hawthorne, Lawndale, Inglewood, Torrance, Redondo beach, Manhattan Beach and El Segundo) will able to vote on the measure in November, since it will only affect them.

Current students at EC are “reaping the benefits from students from 10 years ago,” and now students in 2012 are able to make the same impact on future students by voting to support Measure E on during the November election, Garten said.

“The world isn’t about today, it’s about looking forward and thinking about providing for the students that will be here 10 years from now,” Garten added.