Faculty to showcase interests during employee week

For the third time, EC faculty members will have the chance to be recognized for their hard work and efforts at the annual Classified Professional Development Week from May 21-25.

“Since 1986, California has taken the third week in May to honor the invaluable contributions of classified school employees,” Donna Manno, Staff Development Coordinator, said.

What began as a resolution from the Classified School Employee Week annual conference in 1984, is now adopted as the California Senate Bill of 1552.

This four-day event will take place with workshops, receptions and entertainment to give a chance for staff members to come together and enjoy their time away from work.

“This invitation is open to all employees,” Manno said. “Faculty should go because they might be interested in the workshop topics.”

The different types of workshops and recreation include: gardening, workouts, workshop on how to use iPhones, team building extravaganzas and even some karaoke.

“I think it is a great opportunity to recognize and celebrate classified staff for all the hard work they do for the college and the students,” Manno said.

One of the events during the week is the Creative Hobby Showcase, which enables staff and faculty to showcase their interests and hobbies.

“This event is primarily for the El Camino College staff, but students are more than welcome to drop-in,” Manno, said.

Some students showed interest in the event.

“I didn’t know about it but I might stop by,” Matt White, 21, chemistry major said. “It might be cool to see what professors do outside of school.”

Sharing their hobbies and interests, this showcase will allow staff members and students to talk with the artist and take away something they may be interested in in the future.

“It’s when employees display some of their work and talk about their hobbies,” Manno said. “It’s a chance for staff to see what their fellow workers like to do in their time away from work,”

With the various types of events scheduled for staff, Manno said the workshops are “well attended.”

“All employees are invited to stop by and see the displays and talk with the about with the creator,” Manno said.

Manno also added that they are expecting at least 100 people to participate in the team building extravaganza on Friday, May 25th.

with the creator,” Manno said.

Manno also added that they are expecting at least 100 people to participate in the Team Building Extravaganza on Friday, May 25th.